Brass Bed Frame (Work-in-Progress)

third_hand

Howdy all,

Here are some (hopefully not sideways!) photos of the bed frame that I have been working on for the attic bedroom of my Orchid (Sweet Cypress Cottage). I built it from scratch, from my own improvised design. I decided to go for a heavy patina look; I love verdigris what can I say! :cheezy: This is the first coat of simulated patina (mixed up my own batch of acrylic paints for the occasion). It needs a few more coats (not to mention a mattress and frills!); I will be adjusting shades as I dapple on layers for a textured, aged look.

I'd like some opinions on this: the green chair to the right (which, I know, needs some dirtying up/aging) is from an HoM kit. I decided to paint and add brass findings instead of staining. I'm wondering, does the olive tone throw off the patina color (as in, make it seem too blue)? I'm also wondering: do you think these two pieces should be in the same room? I know the camera plays tricks, but I'm a little worried about the weird size relationship between them.

Anyone have thoughts or opinions? Happy to hear them! :)

rsz_20180802_150436.jpg

rsz_20180802_150424.jpg

rsz_20180802_150451.jpg

• Like 1

I love the bed design and patina. The chair looks good too. You can incorporate more of the chair's green when you dress the bed or not. I kinda like eclectic mixes of colors. It all depends on the vibe you are going for.

• Like 1

The verdigris is spot on, but I personally would like to see just a tad more brass peeking out here & there.  Once you dress the bed, window & floor and get a bedside table, lamp and accessories in with it, it all ought to go together.

I would love to learn how to make a brass bed. My Mother always had brass beds in our rooms and guest rooms, so cozy with a quilt. Although not the best for sitting up and reading in bed lol. 

My 2 cents I think the bed would stand out more and take center stage if surrounded by white furniture. A white vase with pink flowers would be beautiful on a nightstand next to the bed. Plants in the room with variegated greens would look good too. Have fun :) 

• Like 1