French 18th C buildings

Shareb

Okay, so I have done a fair bit of research on French buildings and fortunately, most of the shops on Pinterest look very similar to mine!!  My question is, do I continue the same stonework that features on the front facade, around both sides?  Quite probably this would have been either joined or very, very close to neighbouring buildings.  Do I do a more simplified version of the stonework on the sides?  Or none at all?  This is what the front looks like....

large.IMG_20180902_164548-Optimized.jpg.large.IMG_20180902_163647-Optimized.jpg.

My other questions, do I put another coat of the 'stonework' paint on before pulling off the tape?

Rebecca, i'm no help; I thought when shops were built next to each other they either shared one common wall or else were built touching, so it would just be the brick of the basic structure without the stonework facing of the street side facade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miniaddicted said:

Dying to see the effect! Sounds like you didn't do a sample first, sort of my MO. Hard to judge from here, looks like a slight difference in shade between mortar and stone

Yep - I did the undercoat a shade darker which I thought would help with the illusion of depth between stone work.  I did a sort of sample...I tore a little bit of card board, ran two tape lines over it and sploged on the paint - that's when I figured the sponge helped create the stone impression.  I'm not sure about the tape lines - I sort of feel they may be slightly too wide but figured I could muck about if need be after pulling off the tape.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Rebecca, i'm no help; I thought when shops were built next to each other they either shared one common wall or else were built touching, so it would just be the brick of the basic structure without the stonework facing of the street side facade.

Yeah - I agree.  So having a stand along building gives me a chance to use my own judgement I guess.  I'm leaning towards doing stonework but doing a scaled back version - not so decorative as the front facade.  Like this...https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/811773901559110430/

See how the second stories are different.... https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/125960120813099422/

https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/6192518208758953/

Or.....maybe like this?   https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/125960120813099505/

See my dilemma??

4 hours ago, Qubanqtee said:

oh I'm of  no use with the stonework, but I do love the direction you're going in with this!

Thanks!  I just wish I'd figured this technique when doing the outside of my Pierce!!

If you go to Vintage Everyday and put French buildings into their search box it'll give you lists of posts that have photos of some old Parisian buildings, maybe you'll find something that doesn't come up in a regular google image search. Generally, unless the building was on a corner, most everywhere the side wall would be very plain, just brick, or stuccoed over cheap rough stone. No one would have spent money on nicely cut stones if no one was going to see them.

Funny thing, DH's brothers house was built around 1900 with wooden clapboards, and another house was built up next door right next to it shortly later. Recently that house was torn down and the bare 120 year old boards are now exposed. 

• Like 1

Ahhhh wonderful!!  

46 minutes ago, grazhina said:

If you go to Vintage Everyday and put French buildings into their search box it'll give you lists of posts that have photos of some old Parisian buildings, maybe you'll find something that doesn't come up in a regular google image search. Generally, unless the building was on a corner, most everywhere the side wall would be very plain, just brick, or stuccoed over cheap rough stone. No one would have spent money on nicely cut stones if no one was going to see them.

Funny thing, DH's brothers house was built around 1900 with wooden clapboards, and another house was built up next door right next to it shortly later. Recently that house was torn down and the bare 120 year old boards are now exposed. 

Perfect thank you!  That's what I had thought would be the case.  Thanks for that link - no doubt it will be very useful in future!  Most of our old houses/buildings here in NZ are clapboard.  All wood - very, very little stone.

14 minutes ago, Sable said:

You have to really pan in to get a closeup of my tiny French buildings. They are resin so the detail isn’t precise but you can get an idea. The second photo shows the sides with stucco and exposed brick. 

Thank you Sable!!!  Perfect!  I'll do mostly stucco with maybe a few slightly defined blocks here and there.

Hi, I’m new to the forum so you won’t have heard from me before. If this is going to be free-standing, I would make the sides less elaborate, either simple stonework or consider brick. Most houses and shops throughout the world usually have more detail and character to their facade than sides or back. Even buildings at the end of a row will usually have plane sides unless they form a continuation of a side street. Ultimately, I think it will come down to how you want to view it in your own home, authentic and plane or easy on the eye. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mini maniac said:

love your idea!  I think this is going to look great!  The pictures of French building, that I have seen, have lots of texture from brick, plaster, stones and wood. You are heading in the right direction.  Look forward to seeing more.

Thanks Terry and Heidi!

9 hours ago, dollshousemouldings said:

Hi, I’m new to the forum so you won’t have heard from me before. If this is going to be free-standing, I would make the sides less elaborate, either simple stonework or consider brick. Most houses and shops throughout the world usually have more detail and character to their facade than sides or back. Even buildings at the end of a row will usually have plane sides unless they form a continuation of a side street. Ultimately, I think it will come down to how you want to view it in your own home, authentic and plane or easy on the eye. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that Chris.  Exactly what I figured and what I've ended up doing.  Thank you!  NZ is such a young country - I'm not used to really old buildings!  We were in Nottingham last year - we visited the castle.  Hubby decided he would quite happily live in the exclusive area around the castle - just beautiful houses!

• Like 1

Thanks all!!  I'm really happy with it - although struggling now to get the windows looking as good.  They didn't come with plastic and the large shop windows were completely open.  So I've added bars and acetate but can't get the upstairs windows quite right.  Sigh.

On ‎7‎/‎09‎/‎2018‎ ‎12‎:‎05‎:‎20‎, havanaholly said:

What did you use for the window pediments and keystones?  VERY elegant!

They were laser cut wood supplied with the building Holly.  I painted them two slightly different shades, added in a little of the modelling paste and then went over with the sponge.