Faux Metal or shingles?

Mini maniac

Okay, so I am stuck.  I wanted to try a faux metal roof on my Chantilly.  I used zip ties for my ridges and I liked it at first.....  But now, I am unsure.  I figured I would try it just to see and if I changed my mind, I could always shingle it.  With this build, I wanted to try ideas and I also wanted to utilize all the supplies I already had on hand.   So, I need some opinions please......I am open to any and all ideas. The porch roof is not glued so it is a bit crooked.     Also, this was my first stucco house and I am wondering once it is all done....do I seal it with something?  Thanks in advance.

001.JPG

• Like 1

When I use spackle (or whatever) for stucco and I want to trim around my windows and doors I first run masking tape around the openings the width of my trims so I have bare wood to glue them to:

farmhouse front yard.JPG

I have never sealed my "stucco", just washed it with whatever paint color I mix up for it.

Yeah, you are right.   I did apply stucco very thin around the windows but I may have to get the dremel out and remove some.  So, the paint will seal it.  Good, was worried I would have to seal.  Thanks for your help!

28 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

When I use spackle (or whatever) for stucco and I want to trim around my windows and doors I first run masking tape around the openings the width of my trims so I have bare wood to glue them to:

farmhouse front yard.JPG

I have never sealed my "stucco", just washed it with whatever paint color I mix up for it.

30 minutes ago, sparklepuppies said:

Your roof looks really cool. Very rusty. :)

Years ago I did a house in paperclay, I didn't seal it. A few months later I noticed that my goofy cat had been licking one corner, which removed the paint and the paperclay. That's probably not something most people have to worry about though;!

No cat here.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sparklepuppies said:

Your roof looks really cool. Very rusty. :)

Years ago I did a house in paperclay, I didn't seal it. A few months later I noticed that my goofy cat had been licking one corner, which removed the paint and the paperclay. That's probably not something most people have to worry about though;!

LOL!  Don't ya just love animals?  Hubby says I should leave roof alone.  He likes it.  But I am sure we all second guess ourselves when doing something out of the norm.  Thanks for the advice. 

24 minutes ago, Keifer said:

I think your roof looks great.  Storing the zip tie idea for later. 

Thanks!  I had a million of them that I never used.  They were easy to cut and glue.  I was just worried that they wouldn't take the paint.....but they did. 

8 hours ago, Mini maniac said:

Maybe a slate roof?  

I really like the roof as it is.  Save the slate roof for your next house. Are you thinking real slate or faux slate? My sister is picking up some more real slate for me from a dollhouse/train shop across the street from her grocery store in England. I wish I could get it in the US more easily. And I wish it wasn’t so darn expensive.

• Like 1

I like the roofs! I think you are doing a great job with this house. Every time I try out a new technique I get insecure about the result, and start second guessing, so I understand your apprehension. But I think your results are just great and you should keep it. The roofs go with the structure. I think shingles wouldn’t be as effective, and I agree with Sable, save the slate for the next build.

Just my two cents because you asked :D 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dalesq said:

I like the roofs! I think you are doing a great job with this house. Every time I try out a new technique I get insecure about the result, and start second guessing, so I understand your apprehension. But I think your results are just great and you should keep it. The roofs go with the structure. I think shingles wouldn’t be as effective, and I agree with Sable, save the slate for the next build.

Just my two cents because you asked :D 

Thanks!!  I just get myself freaked out, lol!  I over-think and second guess all the time.  I would love to say this will be the last time but nope.  I will try slate later on down the road. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  The votes are in and I am keeping the faux metal roof.  I appreciate everyone's feedback. I am a severe over thinker and a bit neurotic. LOL but I am always wanting to hear ideas and feedback.  That's why I love it here on the forums. Happy Building to you all.

• Like 2

How did you finish the joints at the angles where 2 roof sections come together? I can’t quite see from your photo...is it zip ties too? How did you make them lay flat?

I have some of the faux tin roof sheets from HBS but can’t figure out what to cover those joints with. I did see someone used braid from the sewing section for a more ornate house but I’m looking for a simple roof.

This roof looks great!

2 hours ago, Lita said:

How did you finish the joints at the angles where 2 roof sections come together? I can’t quite see from your photo...is it zip ties too? How did you make them lay flat?

I have some of the faux tin roof sheets from HBS but can’t figure out what to cover those joints with. I did see someone used braid from the sewing section for a more ornate house but I’m looking for a simple roof.

This roof looks great!

Hi, Lita.  I have not yet put anything in the seams where the roof meets.  There is a slight gap so, I am thinking angle trim.  Still studying that. I will let you know if I come up with anything different. 

As far as getting them to lay flat, they were pretty flat to begin with.  Once glued, they stayed flat.  

Thanks for the compliment.  Let me know if I can be of any more help.  Happy building!

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Terry, it will help your overthinking if you just go with what the house tells you and let it go at that.  The house knows what it wants.

You are absolutely right!!  I keep forgetting that.  Thanks for reminding me.  Right now, its telling me to take a nap! :)