'So long it's been good to know ya'

Just thinking about your heading....when I first saw it I read it as 'so long and thanks for all the fish'!  If you're a Douglas Adams fan you'll get the reference. 

Like others I've been trying to figure what to say and how to say it.  I am truly sorry that you've gone through so much over the last few years.  I personally had no idea - it's taken me a while to warm up to the forum as a group of loveable and supportive friends and family rather than as simply answers when I need them. 

You have been so positive and encouraging - no doubt even at times when you couldn't feel less like it.  I think that must be a real testament to your character.  I feel like I've missed out on the opportunity to get to know you better...and maybe to own a piece of your amazing art.  I know that those lucky enough to have a piece of your work in their homes will cherish them for a long time to come.  I guess that it's one of the real lessons for those left behind - learning to make the most of people in the present as you'll never know when you'll have to say good-bye.

Despite not knowing you as well as many on the forum, I have truly come to value your comments and I love watching your projects.  I imagine that creating miniatures must have been a welcome escape from 'real' life for you while you've been battling for your health.

I really hope that you stick around for a while yet and share your extensive knowledge with us newbies!  But I also understand that you may not feel much like doing that at times.  Love, Peace and Soul healing to you Mike, and to your family.  I'll be thinking of you - please keep hold of the fact that you have touched so many - more than you will probably ever understand.

Rebecca xxx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shareb said:

I'll be thinking of you - please keep hold of the fact that you have touched so many - more than you will probably ever understand.

What she said, Mike. What she said.

• Like 2

I have only been on this forum for a short time, but I have enjoyed watching your progress with the lake house - you do beautiful work, and it's incredibly inspiring for a newbie like me. I wish you the best as you navigate your health challenges. Thank you for all you have shared with the community. 

Hi all and thanks for your kind words, thoughts and wishes and sorry about the albums but they are back now and whatever they will remain.

On my health problems I'm not too worried any more. I reach my three score and ten shortly and I've had a charmed and lucky time. It's not the going so much as the way of going that concerns me. Right now although I'm tired easily and often aching I'm still standing, still mowing the darned grass (does it ever stop sprouting) and still smiling (thanks to everyone here plus Rosemary, Ben and Alfie).

I'm going to choose against an operation (although I think the choice has already been made) which could very well see me totally bed bound and dependent......extending my life by what I feel would be a miserable extra few months. Decisions have yet to be made (amazingly my surgeon is on holiday throughout September and no one else seems to have any say!) but I'm going to try anything else on offer from lotions and potions through to radio waves and the ouija board! I'll be happy to keep updating you and if that helps anyone so much the better..........On the other hand you're all here to share your love of miniatures so maybe it's inappropriate........Do let me know.

I should really thank you all personally but for now you'll have to share..........Thank you all........and to Denise Bon Voyage and give my love to La Belle France! 

Talk to you soon xx

3 hours ago, MikeUK said:

...I'm going to try anything else on offer from lotions and potions through to radio waves and the ouija board! I'll be happy to keep updating you and if that helps anyone so much the better...

I wish I still had my old steel colander, I'd send it to you along with a roll of aluminum foil.

5 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

...I wish cancer didn’t exist.

So do we all!

Oh, Mike, I am so sorry you're going through this.  I hear what you're saying regarding the quality of life over quantity.  

I don't post comments in albums too often (I'm kind of a lurker in there), but I do appreciate what you and others post.  It's an inspiration to many, myself included.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pdlnpeabody said:

Oh, Mike, I am so sorry you're going through this.  I hear what you're saying regarding the quality of life over quantity.  

I don't post comments in albums too often (I'm kind of a lurker in there), but I do appreciate what you and others post.  It's an inspiration to many, myself included.

I second this......I haven't been a member very long.  Thank you for sharing your builds and inspiration.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well hells bells. Mike - your wit and dry humor....but really most of all, your incredible talent. Every time I see your work I'm in awe. I sense I speak for many by saying keep posting as you feel engaged, as time and health permits. So glad you reposed your albums. 

• 4 months later...

Mike sends his greetings to everyone. He is working on his lakeside house and reports that he found an exquisite wrought iron patio set for it. He asked Emily (fov) to delete his account. In part, he was upset when Selkie passed suddenly and thinks he is going to spare us the same shock in his case. He and his docs are still sorting out operate/don't operate, and he is currently hit with the flu, which would be depressing for anyone.. I told him he was causing us even more anxiety by suddenly disappearing and pleaded with him to restore his account, especially the galleries. He did say that he misses interaction with other miniaturists and complained that the only other forum he found (in the UK) is pretty much inactive. 

I'm willing to forward cards to him like I did some time ago. They were well received. I'm thinking more like "thinking of you" rather than get well cards this time. If you'd like to send him a card, send me a PM and I'll give you my home address. You can mail the card to me. I'll know it is for him. :) When I've collected several cards, I'll send the whole lot on to him.

• Like 3

Thank you for the update. When I first read the recent post to the thread the other day, I feared the worst.

This community is very important to me - everyone here is so welcoming and willing to help, and we all share the passion - and frustration - involved in our creations. I send my thoughts and prayers to Mike and a thank you to my GL family for always being caring and supportive.

• 3 weeks later...