Need Florida Info for the Keys and Ron's miniatures

NellBell

Hi everyone who lives in Florida. I am heading there for Christmas we are spending 4 days at Disneyworld . Then off to the Keys . 

I have to fit in Roys of course  What is Roy's closest too?

After Disney world we are driving down to the Keys to snorkel. Has anyone snorkeled there ? do you have a favorite place .We only have two days there . I saw something about middle keys having good snorkleing ? we will have all three boys with us all are 30ish.  

What island in the Keys would you stay on? 

• Like 1

I don't know about Roy's, but Ron's Miniature Shop is at 751 West Colonial Drive (State Road 50) in Orlando and clicking on the link will get you to the map.  When I was a girl my family liked to go to Matecumbe Key for fishing and the two motels there had tidal pools they'd made from old chunks of coral reef that had broken off in storms.  That was over 60 years ago, so I doubt anywhere in the Keys is still like that.  I'm sure there are great places for snorkeling.

9 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I don't know about Roy's, but Ron's Miniature Shop is at 751 West Colonial Drive (State Road 50) in Orlando and clicking on the link will get you to the map.  When I was a girl my family liked to go to Matecumbe Key for fishing and the two motels there had tidal pools they'd made from old chunks of coral reef that had broken off in storms.  That was over 60 years ago, so I doubt anywhere in the Keys is still like that.  I'm sure there are great places for snorkeling.

Opps yes it's Ron's Thanks 

In Cocoa Beach directly east of Ron’s is The Toy Box. It’s a typical dollhouse store in a tourist section. It carries everything at affordable prices.  So whatever you can’t find or afford at Ron’s, you may find at The Toy Box. 

John Pennecamp State Park on Key Largo is the only place I’ve snorkled. You take a boat out to the reef. They provided the equipment and wet suits. The water is a little cooler in December but still worth it.

http://pennekamppark.com/

• Like 2

Ron's is on the northern end of the city of Orlando. It is about 25/30 minutes north of Disney (considering traffic). Definitely allow yourself at least three hours at Ron's. They are usually closed Sunday and Monday, so I would call first to make sure they are open on the day you choose to visit. 

Ron's is by far the best miniature shop I have gone to. They have a TON of Bespaq. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Calling ahead is a great idea, considering Ron & Richard have announced plans to retire.

Oh no! I got some unique items at the Lakeland show from him. He had so much it was hard to make a choice.

15 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Calling ahead is a great idea, considering Ron & Richard have announced plans to retire.

Oh no! I got some unique items at the Lakeland show from him. He had so much it was hard to make a choice.

I went to Ron's once. Amazing place. I thought I read last year it was closing down though -- is that not right? I also went to the one in Cocoa Beach, the Toy Box. The Toy Box is a nice store indeed, but it's not quite like Ron's. The Toy Box had a lot of building materials, lots of Pewter to paint, some nice stuff, but Ron's was just loaded and packed to the seams! The Toy Box has other giftware items also. 

I went to the Toy Box back in the 1980's when it was located in Rockledge Fl then they moved to Cocoa Viilage.  (I was born and raised in Cocoa) I guess now, they are in Cocoa Beach.  I haven't been there since early 90's.  Would love to see ot now.  I live in North Floida now but its only 4 hours away.  

As far as the Keys go......my daughter just returned from there.  She stayed in Isl Merada (sp?).  She loved it.  The farther South you go, the more you will see remnants of hurricane damage and areas still not fully recovered yet.  

I am getting in on this one rather late, but I do hope you get to enjoy LOTS of time at Ron's!  :D  I was lucky enough to have my son and daughter-in-law live only blocks away for 2 years! (they have since moved to the DC area) I will certainly miss my yearly visit

28 minutes ago, Qubanqtee said:

yay!  when I went last year I was so excited to be there ----I spent 5 hours in the store!!!  They has EVERYTHING, or at least it feels like it!

No, you were right; they have everything.

• Like 1