Best way of adding window panes?

Shareb

So, I'm about to glue in windows etc finally after all that painting.  Now I've realised that I don't think I like the look of the windows with nothing actually in them.  What was supplied with the building are just large frames for the large shop windows, and 6 'paned' window frames for the upstairs windows.  They're single layer, so nothing to sandwich plastic in between.  I've now added in bars which makes the big windows look better.  Plus I've added them to the door - which does have plastic in it.  Do I add plastic to the windows do you think?  If so, how is the best way of doing it tidily and cleanly for the best outcome??

large.IMG_20180906_164107-Optimized.jpg.large.IMG_20180906_164146-Optimized.jpg.

How strange that the kit came with the door insert, but not for the windows.  If the windows fit within the openings you can make a duplicate of the outer frame from card and paint it to match and glue it over the edges of the plastic you use after you have glued it onto your window.  We have had this discussion about what are good sources of replacement plastic for window inserts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

How strange that the kit came with the door insert, but not for the windows.  If the windows fit within the openings you can make a duplicate of the outer frame from card and paint it to match and glue it over the edges of the plastic you use after you have glued it onto your window.  We have had this discussion about what are good sources of replacement plastic for window inserts.

The upper level windows are laser cut obviously with the building, whereas the door seemed to come from a different source - it was pre-packaged....  I have had a whole heap of wood and mouldings arrive today so I should be able to do this....

Okay, so obviously my scant 5 hours sleep last night is catching up with me.  I added the plastic to the large windows and they look great.  Went to insert them and everything bows.  So I'll give the sides a good sand tomorrow and hopefully it'll all fit in much better.

As far as the other windows - I tried to cut a piece out of card and didn't have much luck getting it perfect.  I think I'll wait until I'm feeling better tomorrow and try again.  I have a feeling that it'll take a bit of doing - and then of course I'll have to do a heap of painting again.... <sigh>  Just when you think you're getting somewhere it turns out you're not. :dunno:

So I've tried to cut out the card as carefully as possible.  If you look closely they're far from perfect.  Do you think they'll work or should I go back to the drawing board?  Also, what sort of glue is best for plastic/acetate?  The PVA isn't keeping it held on overly well - of course I'm putting on a limited amount to try and keep it as clean and tidy as possible....

large.IMG_20180908_151237-Optimized.jpg.large.IMG_20180908_151142-Optimized.jpg.

I would have traced around the outside of the window frame and carefully cut just inside the pencil line, then measure the width of the outer frame piece and rule lines that distance around the inside of the card frames and cut that; I wouldn't bother with the mullions or muntons, since this is all on the inside.  And if the window will glue onto the wall, rather than within the opening, I don't think I'd bother with the card.

• Like 1

Okay, I give up.  I'm about to email Gary at Dolls House Direct to see if I can buy another building lot of windows.  They have fought every single step.  So frustrating. :cry:

7 hours ago, Shareb said:

Okay, I give up.  I'm about to email Gary at Dolls House Direct to see if I can buy another building lot of windows.  They have fought every single step.  So frustrating. :cry:

You might mention the issues with there being no plastic window inserts included, and then there being no inner frame to glue over it.

I emailed last night but haven't received a reply unfortunately.  Given the time difference and the way they seem to work it'll be another 24hrs before I potentially hear from him.  I mentioned that I had been trying to add plastic to the windows.  I can't say that I've had a great experience with DHD.  They sent the wrong door and half the wrong windows to begin with.  Then I also realised as I've been going along that more of the shop specific outside trim is missing too.  I just decided not to bother going back to them again and I'll find a different trim if I want something. on it.  How frustrating.  Day out today.....have to try and figure something for hubby's birthday.  Bah humbug.