Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Half scale house ID needed (old RGT?)

9 posts in this topic

I think this is an old RGT house but I'll move it to the Everyone Else forum if it turns out it's not. I bought this shell today at a flea market. It's half scale. Anyone know what house this is?

mystery-house01.jpg

mystery-house02.jpg

It looks like a scratch build, rather than a kit.

Nice find! I wonder if Real Good Toys made a few different 1/2 scale models in the past?

Diane, I thought of your half scale RGT when I saw it (even though it looks totally different). And there was that half scale New Orleans kit on eBay a few months ago. Makes me wonder if they (or maybe Batrie?) had a half scale line that have been lost to history.

It was sitting right next to the First Lady and the tower and rooflines are similar -- that's partly why I thought it might be an RGT.

It looks very similar to mine. I bought mine from ebay, but I don't remember where it came from. It would be interesting if there was someone who copied the real good toys shells. But I do think it was a kit. The window cutouts are exactly like mine, with the rounded edge; and mine are the same as the First Lady cut outs.  It looks like yours has a number stamped on it? 

I wonder if anyone from Real Good Toys would know?

Hawthorne.JPG

Yeah, the towers are exactly the same. I was looking at it more closely today and saw that the cut into the tower, where it slides into the roof, is meant for a steeper roof pitch (like more like your house) so there's a gap in the tower walls that I'll need to cover up. Makes me wonder if my house was bashed together from spare parts from other kits?

I also noticed that the windows are slightly smaller than Houseworks size. I'll have to enlarge them. The front of the house is stamped F1. I couldn't find any other identifying marks.

I emailed RGT to see if they can shed any light.

Here's what I heard back from RGT:

"That is a display model for the 'dollhouse center' line of houses.  The original concept for the dollhouse center series was designed around modular components that could be mixed and matched to make a variety of houses... so a basic unit (F4: the side walls, interior walls, and floors) could accept a variety of fronts and roofs, and one selection of parts could be used to pack many, many different houses.  This house has a full front (the F1) plus a tower (A50) and a 4100 series roof (E2 and D95) so that it looks like one of the 4100 series from the dollhouse center line; the most popular 4100 house was the 4107 Norcross Manor.

The half scale models were used at sales shows to demonstrate the way a selection of parts could magically create lots of houses and lots of 'looks', and a few shops bought the demo sets for their own displays.  I believe this was one of those (that's why there's a wall inside the tower)."

I searched for "Norcross Manor" and found this on Pinterest -- I'm not sure if this is it, because it doesn't have a name on it, but it looks just like my mystery house. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f2/99/c2/f299c266e1909a1419972dc671e265d6.jpg

Diane, I hope you don't mind, I emailed them your photo to ask if it was also one of the model houses or a kit.

EDIT: Gary from RGT wrote me back to confirm that Diane's house was a kit (the Hawthorne). And here's a newer picture of the 1:12 house similar to mine, it's called the Montgomery: https://www.dollhousestrainsandmore.com/collections/1-scale-dollhouse-kits/products/front-opening-montgomery-dollhouse-kitdh15

1 person likes this

:clap:

awesome sleuthing! Congratulations on this great kit :)