"The Miniaturist" PBS Premiere

third_hand

Alright everyone, I just have to know (for those of you in the U.S.; sincerest regards to those who haven't caught it yet): what did you all think of Part I of "The Miniaturist"? If you didn't watch the real-time release at 9 pm EST last night, you can still watch the episode on the PBS website. 

I watched the premier last night; I had been anxiously awaiting the episode all day! The rich, dark scenes are just grand. I am also very happy that the dollhouse is more than just a background prop in this story! :D So, I'm wondering, did folks have favorite minis or any burning questions you had after watching? 

P.S. Maybe folks could give a *spoiler alert* in case other folks want to keep up the mystery? 

Miniaturist3.jpg

• Like 1

I watched it previously, but not very closely....I tend not to pay attention if it is on the computer.

I fell asleep at 6pm and woke up at 10pm......Sometimes they recast it on PBS rewind tomorrow throughout the day. I am bummed out that  I missed it, but I think it will also pop up on Amazon Prime Video in the future......

If you have PBS online, you should also be able to watch it there.  I hear you on the falling asleep in front of the TV.  It's something I do far too often.  :rolleyes:

I did watch it last night.  One of the things I thought of was, "How the heck did anyone make such diverse miniatures so well so fast?"  The little silver marzipan container was amazing.  I read that, for the film, they had to get several different miniature makers to contribute, in order to get such well made miniatures of so many different kinds.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KathieB said:

I recorded it. Haven't yet watched it.

I watched it. Had a hard time staying to the end. Checked two or three times to see how much time was left. If I hadn't read the book, I'd have had no idea what was going on. The costuming and miniatures are very well done. Story/plot line not so much. Not sure if I'll watch the rest. I suspect not.

I don't have TV, didn't know they were making it into a series! I read most of the book, but never finished it. Got distracted, plus it was at one of those points in the book where everything starts to go wrong. Guess I should finish it, if I want to watch this. Funny, I was thinking of that book lately since I'm trying to build up my house. And how the miniaturist in that story had nothing on some of the people I see online.

15 hours ago, KathieB said:

I watched it. Had a hard time staying to the end. Checked two or three times to see how much time was left. If I hadn't read the book, I'd have had no idea what was going on. The costuming and miniatures are very well done. Story/plot line not so much. Not sure if I'll watch the rest. I suspect not.

They did really ramp up the mystery; it's certainly slow for the first 35 minutes or so. I'm hoping they pick up the pace a bit in the next part.

On 9/10/2018, 3:38:43, Debsrand56 said:

One of the things I thought of was, "How the heck did anyone make such diverse miniatures so well so fast?"  The little silver marzipan container was amazing.  I read that, for the film, they had to get several different miniature makers to contribute, in order to get such well made miniatures of so many different kinds.

I wondered this very thing. I thought, 'oh this MUST be supernatural' because no human being cranks out fabulous minis so fast! 

• 2 weeks later...

Since my son never recorded the first two episodes while I was in Europe, I was able to watch them online yesterday before the final episode aired last night. My local PBS station carried the first episode online until yesterday but episodes 2 & 3 are still available online. I enjoyed the series. A little different from the book but I thought the series explained more.

• Like 1

I ended up watching the entire series despite my initial reluctance. I have to say that I thought it better than the book, which left a bad taste in my mouth. The filming, costumes, character development, and especially the miniatures really told the story.

• Like 1