Raiithe

Hello, I am new to doll house miniatures but have always wanted to do one. I was given a basket case Little Cottage Shop Green Leaf Doll House Kit, I am so excited but do not know where to start.  Do I build it first or do the exterior and wall paper first? Flooring would have to wait for electricals right.? What tools are a must have for doll house miniature building?  Not going to lie I am itching to start.  

• Like 3

First off, welcome and howdy!  I personally do the exterior after it is built. I sometimes wallpaper and paint the interior before gluing it together.  Also, I recommend doing a dry fit before glue to make sure things are lined up correctly.  Also, do NOT use a glue gun.  As far as tools.....glue,  sandpaper, painters tape or masking tape, clamps, the lust can go on and on.  As you come across particular obstacles,  you will learn what you need.  Plus, we can help.  Most importantly, be patient and have fun with it.  

• Like 1

Hi Rochelle - I've been doing this a few years now but I'm still basically a beginner! :D The one thing I want to say is don't glue until you know it is perfect!  Dry fit as Terry says and then sand or cut until it fits perfectly.  Think all the way around it before gluing - make sure that you have done everything you need to do before gluing.  Try not to race ahead.  Each step takes time and it's taken me time to realise this!  If you want it perfect, take the time to do each step perfectly regardless of how long it takes you.  Keep your focus on what you're doing and remind yourself that in order to get the best outcome, you need to spend the time doing even the most boring things well.  For example painting - paint, sand, paint, sand....It takes ages but be patient so that when it's done and you look at it, you're proud of the finish you've achieved!  I prob use my craft knife a lot, but also sandpaper, tweezers, a really decent steel ruler, I have a little hammer, various types of glue but I use wood glue and super glue the most, paint, paint brushes, awl and lots and lots of patience!  Enjoy - while it can be frustrating at times it is also incredibly well worth while!

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Rochelle.  Painter's tape or masking tape will hold the parts of your kit together during the dry fit, until you actually glue things.  I don't electrify my houses because it's an added expense that does nothing for my enjoyment of the house, so I would add the wiring during the interior finishing if I did use it.  I tend to stain or prime, paint & paper the interior as I build, then do the exterior treatments, then install windows and doors, and finally install the roof and shingle (or whatever).  It really depends on what the house tells me during the dry fit.  I have a Stanley utility knife, a sanding block the hubs made us (I use emery boards and my Dremels for sanding fiddly bits), a couple of cork-back steel straight edges, a self-healing cutting mat, lots of blue painter's tape and a drawerful of clamps.  I use carpenter's wood glue for wood-to-wood bonds and clear-drying Elmer's all-purpose white glue (NOT school glue!) for the clear acetate window and door inserts.  I discovered reverse tweezers when I used to be a paste-up artist for an offset print shop (job now obsolete thanks to computers).

• Like 1

thank you guys for the helpful tips, I put the entire frame together. I'm addicted already , oh boy, I already want another one once I finish this one lol. It does have an attic, but no stairs or opening to the attic, soo I'm gonna have to fix that. . I'm literally going to make a trap door lol and put a spiral stair case in so it goes up to the attic lol. I did not add the trip as I have to finish the exterior. the kit may have had some water damage, some of the pieced literally crumbled in half, soo , glued those, will be applying wood filler , sanding, priming then doing the wall paper ( which I have yet to decide on lol ). so much to learn I am so excited. 

• Like 1

Glad you found us, love your enthusiasm! 

The kit you have is definitely an old one because they changed the name of Little Cottage Shop to “Storybook Cottage”. So if you’re ever looking on Pinterest or google images or in our gallery here,  for what other people have done with it, then try searching for storybook Cottage. Have fun :) 

I’m working on one now too, mine is going to be a gingerbread bakery. 

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=8230

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=8230

• Like 1

oh gosh thank you for that was wondering why I could not find it. I think my next one will either be a gothic Victorian house or a coffee / tea shop lol . not going to lie I would LOVE to re-create the town of Middleton from the TV series The Good Witch on Hallmark channel. And I have to do a Victorian doll house with a barn and stable for my daughter … oh man I am so so so in trouble lol 

• Like 1

Rochelle, you can imagine the stairs are in the invisible back half of the house.  Definitely during the dry fit I'd consider lowering the second level floor to make that "attic" a second storey, although I suspect those upper window sills are part of the floor and the exterior walls have to be twisted over the sills to get that floor in, like the Coventry Cottage.

Welcome Rochelle! I'm a new member too. Good luck with your dollhouse. I am almost finished with my first. However, I feel like I "cheated" because my  dollhouse was already put together when I bought it. It was bare wood, but I got to start with the really fun part. Although, I can see the big advantage of starting from the beginning. Some things were really awkward to do on the inside after the house was already built. I had to laugh when you said you are "in trouble". I know how you feel...I also have so many future projects in my head that I am anxious to get to. 

Have fun!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...