Not sure where to put this but ordered the cutest villa

asherah

They seem awfully cute. I got the travel trailer and it was nice quality (at least my kit was). Everything needed to be put together, but it was all there and pre-painted.

They are usually 1:24 scale. I think this one is too.

I've been interested in this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sams-Study-Miniature-Dollhouse-Kit-DIY-Miniature-Dollhouse-Library-Books/273460667951

I heard it's an overwhelming amount of tiny bookmaking and papercraft, tho (for that one).

• Like 2

Hi Elsbeth/Jenn,

I bought the Sam's Study kit; I'm hoping to complete it as a Christmas gift for my sister. So far I have made all the furniture, but none of the books or other accessories. The furniture itself is a breeze to make; the pieces are mostly pre-cut, pre-painted, and the directions are much clearer than I thought they'd be.

I keep wondering about the scale on it, though; in some ways, it seems bigger than 1:24, but then again, I've never made anything in that scale before so what do I know?? ;)

I also bought this one for myself, but I haven't started it yet. 

32 minutes ago, MaryKate said:

Hi Elsbeth/Jenn,

I bought the Sam's Study kit; I'm hoping to complete it as a Christmas gift for my sister. So far I have made all the furniture, but none of the books or other accessories. The furniture itself is a breeze to make; the pieces are mostly pre-cut, pre-painted, and the directions are much clearer than I thought they'd be.

I keep wondering about the scale on it, though; in some ways, it seems bigger than 1:24, but then again, I've never made anything in that scale before so what do I know?? ;)

I also bought this one for myself, but I haven't started it yet. 

I've been noticing that one with the pool can't wait to see your pictures and hear how it goes.

• Like 1

wow those are such cool kits. That is a lot of books to make but I've looked at that one too. I like the look of it. And the one with the pool looks amazing too! so many cute kits. Yeh I don't know about scale either I guess we will see when eit gets here. It says about 13 inches wide. 

I've noticed a lot of these kits have pianos too lol. I also just noticed this kit says it has voice-controlled lights. What on earth.. ? I guess we will see. lol

I've done quite a few of these - it's how I got into miniatures in the first place.  I've done the caravan, a couple of little rooms, a couple of little tins and a house.  I have a greenhouse, coffee shop and house with underwater part to do.  Once you get the hang of how they do things, they're good.  They're not necessarily easy and you still have to make a heap from bits so even though they're kits, you still have to have skill to do them properly.  I buy mine direct from China from Aliexpress....  Here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/premium/dollhouse-kit.html?d=y&blanktest=0&origin=y&SearchText=dollhouse+kit&tc=ppc&initiative_id=SB_20180917221422&isViewCP=y&catId=0

• Like 2

I like that everything is included and I don't have to go get it all at a craft store.

I agree on the scale - the travel trailer was a bit larger than 1:24...but not quite 1:12, maybe closer to 1:16 but not quite. 

I like them.  Anyone tried the kits that looks like tiny scenes in an altoids tin?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, asherah said:

I want to do the part underwater one too =) 

I'm going to do it Steampunk! :D 

3 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

I like that everything is included and I don't have to go get it all at a craft store.

I agree on the scale - the travel trailer was a bit larger than 1:24...but not quite 1:12, maybe closer to 1:16 but not quite. 

I like them.  Anyone tried the kits that looks like tiny scenes in an altoids tin?

Yes!  I've done two of the little altoid tins.  Both I followed mostly but put my own scenes in the back and wrote my own poems as the poems included don't translate so well to English!  Very fiddly but pretty easily done and quick.  Be an ideal project to do with a capable child.

• Like 1