hardwood flooring

CTYankee79

On 9/18/2018, 7:11:15, Khadi said:

I have gotten craft "popsicle" sticks at Walmart that were square-ended and the same cheap price as the regular ones.

I just found those too--they seem perfect and will definitely save time. As long as you you don't need wide floorboards typical of old houses they are fine. I think the ones I bought are 1/4" wide, so equivalent to 3" wide boards. It definitely works. 

Thank you everybody, a lot of great ideas and photos here. I may just use the square ended craft sticks from Walmart in the interest of saving time...then I'm guessing a bed of wood glue and lay them all down with some weight to keep them flat? Do we try to alternate lengths so they don't all butt up to each other at the same spot on the floor? Then I'm just planning on taping off walls (which are primed, I doubt I'm going to do much with them this year as I want this in time for mid October), and brushing on some stain. 

Was also planning on staining the stairs the same color and spray it with some spar.

2 hours ago, Keifer said:

There is quite a bit of waste with the popsicle sticks...about 25% from what I experienced, so get more than you think you need. 

I use them to make wainscots and cross-buck exterior and Dutch doors, and that has been my experience with them.

I bought some really slim ones for my treehouse which is 1:24 scale.  I bought them in a bulk lot off Aliexpress and they worked really well.  I think coffee stirrers instead of popsicle sticks....  In NZ we have ice-blocks called popsicles......

On 2018-09-18, 11:12:14, Debsrand56 said:

Another option would be https://www.amazon.com/TruePower-Speed-Cut-Off-2-Inch-colors/dp/B000VWHTUG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537294125&sr=8-3&keywords=miniature+chop+saw  It is a little pricier than the Easy Cutter, but not much, and it could help speed up the process a bit.  Hard wood floors can be tedious, but are worth the effort, IMO.  (And I agree that having the floor slightly under the front door now is a good thing. The sticks will add depth.)

Holy crow, that’s over $100 on Amazon.ca. I think I’m going to have a mini shopping list next time I visit.

• 1 year later...

I know its been over a year but dollhouse is finally complete (mostly). Here's a pic of how the floor came out. I ended up just snipping the popsicle sticks, gluing them, staining them, and a couple coats of polycrylic. Not perfect but it came out pretty nice.  I'll post more pics of the dollhouse in another post. 

IMG_3266.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...