Hello from the natural state

Sylvie_Sobel

Good Morning All,

Please call me Sylvie (or other variations of the screen name).
I was trained in Graphic Design and studied art in college, but I've always held a soft spot in my heart for various crafts - especially miniature crafts.
I live in a very small apartment, so constructing a full dollhouse at this time is a no-go, but I'm hoping to assemble a smaller robotime or cuteroom. Currently (and this is what brought me into the dollhouse community) I've been helping a friend assemble a Greenleaf Orchid and all of the little accouterments. It has been a lot of fun - low in frustration thankfully. She's lovingly named the house "Wakefield" and has been writing a short story about it for fun.

I'm interested in other people's process, what they make, themes, etc.
With a brief glance here the other day I noticed that this community seems to be pretty lively, so I joined.

Thank you for having me. (:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Debsrand56 said:

Is the Happy Time kit this one?  https://www.amazon.com/Flever-Dollhouse-Miniature-Creative-Furniture/dp/B01N5GU7NH

That one is so sweet.  I really want to do one of these!

Yes! It's super cute and only took me a couple days to do. I have it next to my bed. It makes me happy every time I see it :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Debsrand56 said:

Is the Happy Time kit this one?  https://www.amazon.com/Flever-Dollhouse-Miniature-Creative-Furniture/dp/B01N5GU7NH

That one is so sweet.  I really want to do one of these!

That is a super adorable kit! I've helped assemble 2 robotimes - Jason's Kitchen & the Garden porch. I'm hoping to find a kit that is a little wintery-like so I can have it displayed on our fake mantle - ahaha.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Sylvie.  Are you another Charles Dodson fan (thinking "Sylvie & Bruno" here)?

I took it from the ballet "La Sylphide" and when I was in school I used in French class - but that's been many years ago, ahaha. I will definitely have to look into Sylvie & Bruno though.

6 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Welcome Sylvie

One of our members is in the process of building a 'Cute room" style cafe. @SewMini. Many of us are intrigued by those kits. I am really enjoying seeing progress.

I got my initial kicks with small papercraft things by spending an afternoon putting a Calico Critter Market together. Plus there's something about a die cut of a box that sets my graphic designer heart ablaze, lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sylvie_Sobel said:

...I took it from the ballet "La Sylphide" and when I was in school I used in French class - but that's been many years ago, ahaha. I will definitely have to look into Sylvie & Bruno though...

I believe it was written under Dodson's pen name, Lewis Carroll.

Hi Sylvie - I wondered what a 'cute room' was but realise now you're talking about the 1:24 (and smaller) Chinese kits that have flooded the market over the past couple of years.  That's exactly how I got started on miniatures!  My daughter found them on Aliexpress and we bought one each.  Then, we bought another couple, including the caravan.  So I've done a few of those, including a couple of the little altoid tins.  I still have a greenhouse, coffee shop and underwater house to do.  After doing a couple of these kits I decided to tackle something bigger and bought a Greenleaf Pierce kit!  Well, a few years on and it's still not finished!  Quite a few other projects have inserted themselves into my time!  It certainly seems to be quite an addictive hobby!  I have to ask as I haven't seen an answer - perhaps I missed it or perhaps it's taken for granted that everyone knows, but what is the 'natural state'?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Shareb said:

Hi Sylvie - I wondered what a 'cute room' was but realise now you're talking about the 1:24 (and smaller) Chinese kits that have flooded the market over the past couple of years.  That's exactly how I got started on miniatures!  My daughter found them on Aliexpress and we bought one each.  Then, we bought another couple, including the caravan.  So I've done a few of those, including a couple of the little altoid tins.  I still have a greenhouse, coffee shop and underwater house to do.  After doing a couple of these kits I decided to tackle something bigger and bought a Greenleaf Pierce kit!  Well, a few years on and it's still not finished!  Quite a few other projects have inserted themselves into my time!  It certainly seems to be quite an addictive hobby!  I have to ask as I haven't seen an answer - perhaps I missed it or perhaps it's taken for granted that everyone knows, but what is the 'natural state'?

Shareb,

All of those kits sound fun! I have to do more research if I want to put one together and see which would be best to go at first.
"The Natural State" is the nickname for the U.S. state Arkansas which boasts over 50 national parks and one where you can dig for diamonds. (: 
I saw someone who mentioned another state nickname in their subject line and thought it was fun. Plus it's a little more interesting than,"New here!" or "Hi, I'm from Arkansas! We are known for Bill Clinton (Politician) and Johnny Cash (Musician)". 

• Like 1

Aha!  My father's family were all from Arkansas and when my grandfather moved to Little Rock to work for the PO I remember one birthday he sent me a little sack of "little rocks" candy.  When the hubs and I toured the Jelly Belly factory I bought a bag of Belly Flops in the gift shop because they reminded me of that candy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shareb said:

Arkansas is one state I haven't visited!  Thanks for the explanation!!

You're welcome! Hope you can visit someday!

43 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

There are also some nifty state parks.  We spent a week in one near Wynne, Arkansas, whilst I was building the Glencroft.

I have several friends from Wynne. My favorite ones have always been near Hot Springs - crystal digging!

Our favorite memory of Wynne was the trip we had to make to the laundromat.  A momma killdeer had a nest between the curb and the lightpost at the corner of the busy intersection and every time a car would stop for the traffic light or make a right turn she'd rear up off that nest with one wing in the air and call down all sorts of bird invective on the vehicle.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sylvie_Sobel said:

You're welcome! Hope you can visit someday!

I have several friends from Wynne. My favorite ones have always been near Hot Springs - crystal digging!

Wait...what?......Crystal digging????  Really????  I would so LOVE to do that!  I have quite a crystal collection!

On 9/21/2018, 5:31:28, Shareb said:

Wait...what?......Crystal digging????  Really????  I would so LOVE to do that!  I have quite a crystal collection!

We have a few Quartz crystal mines around the area of Hot Springs, and if you travel an hour-ish to Murfeesboro you can dig for diamonds (but generally you'll get more keepsakes from the Quartz mines, lol) My parents were/are rockhounds so they drug us down there on occasion, lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sylvie_Sobel said:

We have a few Quartz crystal mines around the area of Hot Springs, and if you travel an hour-ish to Murfeesboro you can dig for diamonds (but generally you'll get more keepsakes from the Quartz mines, lol) My parents were/are rockhounds so they drug us down there on occasion, lol

I'd love to do that!  When I was about ten I found a beautiful quartz crystal just sitting on top of the rocks at a beach we were on holiday at.  It's the gold mining area from this part of NZ and it started a lifelong love of crystals and rocks.  I'll have to see if I can wangle a visit to Arkansas when we come over next year! :)