Carol from Evanston Illinois, new to Greenleaf Doll house

Carol Noble

My name is Carol and I am from Evanston, Illinois. I finished an easy laser cut Gothic Victorian Doll House. I call it my "Harry Potter House". I blinged it with gold on the outside and white on the inside. It looks like snow on the inside.  I'm not sure if I am allowed to upload the pics because the house it is not from Greenleaf. Now I am ready to start the big Kahoona!!! My new Doll House is the Beacon Hill Wooden Doll house kit. The instructions say "Don't panic" I think this is an understatement. I am ready to take on this challenge! I hope I posted this new introduction correctly. If not, please let me know. I am ready to start with the main pieces to seal the wood with wood primer except for the stairs, I want the stairs to be stained. I want to create templates for the wallpaper so I can put in new wall paper in the future. Do I dry fit the pieces first, or do I prime the pieces first and then dry fit. I'd love to put in lights, but that may be on a next project? I will be searching the posts on getting started. Wish me luck!

• Like 3

Hello Carol

After five posts you can start an album. The great thing about this site is that it can be any brand etc.....There are a lot of experienced Beacon Hill builders that can help if you get stuck. I think you have a good plan going. I usually prime after it is glued, but other people may do it before. I would prime before the dry fit as the paint may cause the wood to expand.

Wishing you luck:wave:

Welcome to the little family, Carol.  Dry fit first, as there are areas you might wish to stain, rather than prime; you can paint over stain, but staining over paint just ain't the same.   I prime as I build.  Of course you can post pictures, but you might want to wait until you have made five posts and post them in albums in the Gallery.  Greenleaf hosts this site.  As you become more familiar you will notice there are subfora to discuss a particular brand of kit, not just Greenleaf/ Corona Concepts.

Hi Carol, welcome to the forum, the great part about this place is all the people willing and happy to help.  I, personally haven't built the Beacon Hill, but as @Mid-life madness mentioned there's plenty of people who have!  While each person has their own way of doing things, you can take what you need and make it work for you!  Looking forward to seeing you post some pics of your progress!

Welcome to the forum.  Have fun building the Beacon Hill.  I didn't build one, but recently rehabbed an older one.  I really like the windows of the Beacon Hill.  They have so many different layers.  I did find it a challenge to figure out and remember what colors I chose to paint the different layers of those windows.

• Like 1

Help, Help, Help. I'm dry fitting first. Thanks for all your responses. I don't uderstand the instructions. There is the 2nd floor that I am attaching floor/wall (7) and floor 1. I cant figure out how to slip or interlock long slot in 2nd floor in Right Partition Wall (7) at stair opening. Which one is the long slot? Where is the stair opening? How wrote these instructions? I tried looking at the video by Brad Vaughn. I already broke a fragile peice on the door way. Cant figure what he did either. None of this makes sense.