Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Beacon Hill - Flat Portion of Roof

8 posts in this topic

What did you Beacon Hill Builders (or rehabbers) do with the flat portion of the roof? . The mansard portions of my latest acquisition has all been shingled very nicely, so I am going to keep them exactly as they are.  However, the flat portion is still just raw wood.  Did you paint, stain, or ?

Thank you for any tips and I'm sure I will have many more questions.

I painted mine gray. It's so tall, I rarely see the top of it anyway. You could also mix some sand or fine gravel with it for a little more interest.

For the flat top of Brimble's roof I glued felt to simulate the tar & gravel our flat-roofed house I grew up in had.

I also painted the flat portion of the roof gray to match foundation colors.  Husband and I did run electrical wires on the flat portion of the roof.  The wires are now hidden by a piece of thin plywood.

I spray painted it with black stone-effect paint. It is textured, similar to putting sand in liquid paint.

I originally painted the shingles green, but I'm now considering using the same spray paint on them. I think I'd like the appearance of black asphalt shingles instead of painted wooden shingles. :hmm: (Lucky me glued the shingles to the roof pieces but they have not been attached to the house yet.)

On my Rosedale I painted the flat roof to match the trim.

I painted sandpaper that I cut to fit and glued to flat roof portions of my Rosedale.