Stripping Town Square furniture

grazhina

I have a Town Square hutch that is the perfect size, but totally the wrong color. If I were redoing the piece for my own use I'd just do a little light sanding, spray on a few coats of primer, sanding lightly between coats, then finish with paint and top with several coats of sealer. I've done this several times and the finish has looked and stayed like new. This time, however, I'll be making it for a 7 year old girl, who will probably drop it a few times, bump it, etc., and I don't want to take the chance of the paint chipping and flaking off. Have any of you stripped some of this mini furniture? Also, will it come apart in the microwave like the unpainted Michael's furniture does? I've been thinking it sure would be easier to strip the paint and refinish it if it came apart.

I haven't done it with Town Square, but I have successfully stripped that ghastly red stuff off the $Tree furniture using the orange goo paint stripper.  I haven't used the microwave to soften the glue; I found a dip in boiling water softened the $Tree glue nicely.  I'm not sure if Town Square uses a better glue or not.

I haven’t done it yet, but I’ve got a half scale grandfather's clock that I want to try stripping. I’ve used stripping compound on Tootsie Toy furniture and it’s worked beautifully, but I haven’t tried it on wood pieces yet. My hubby tells me the stuff he used on the TT pieces will dissolve glue too, so it might work for you.

Since I have a jelly cabinet in the same finish as the hutch, I bit the bullet and applied stripper to it as a test run. After 30min I was able to scrape a goodly bit off, but the wood underneath is a dull black now. I decided to apply another coat of stripper and leave it overnight. 2 contrasting decorative panels did come unglued, which is a good thing as far as scraping goes.

• Like 1

I put the mostly stripped cabinet in the microwave this morning. I checked it after 30 seconds on high and was able to pull a couple of edge pieces off, so I put it back in for 10-15 seconds and pulled the top off. After that I put it back in for 10 seconds at a time till the sides and shelves became unglued and I was able to remove them.

• Like 2