First time dollhouser! EEEK! Duracraft VM800

Ldecs

?photo_id=10156387965500199&mds=%2FphotoHi! I’m new here and have had so much fun scrolling through and seeing all of your wonderful ideas and tips. 

I’ve been wanting to make a dollhouse for years now, my dad made a custom one when I was little that looked just like our house. My sister somehow “lost” it (insert eye roll here) but I still have all of the goodies...including handmade needlepoint rugs by my mom, tons of little food items my dad and brother made, etc. Just no house. Until today.

I had planned on doing a kit, and painting, wallpapering etc prior to assembling it. This beauty kind of fell into my lap today, so I’m starting big I guess!! 

I have SO many questions...but to start with, here are a few...

- does anyone know where I might be able to find dimensions and templates for this house? I found the instruction manual online but it doesn’t have room dimensions. 

- how do you wallpaper/paint houses like this that are already assembled?! Especially the room inside the turret? 

- would it be a mistake to try and remove the staircase to paint it?

- windows need to be replaced, they’ve yellowed with age. It seems 0.04” plexiglass is the best way to go for most dollhouses, but does that work with Duracraft? I’m worried it will be too thick. 

- the floors are actual hardwood, I was shocked. Is there a way to strip and/or stain them?

- wiring is everywhere and very well marked. It’s missing some component that plugs into the side. How do I figure out what I need for that? And can I add additional lights etc?

Sorry for so many questions!!! You all seem to have a wealth of knowledge and I think I need all the help I can get.

Thanks so much, I’m so excited to get started on this.

Edited by Ldecs
  • Like 1

Hey, I know you! We're in the same Facebook group! I should have thought to tell you to come here but I'm glad you found your way. I was the one who posted that you had the VM800 model.

She's got a real stunner you guys!! You'll love it. 

Lisa this is an awesome group and you will find all the help you need here. Welcome!

Welcome to the little family, Lisa.  The first kit I ever built was the Dura-Craft SF555.  

4 hours ago, Ldecs said:

?photo_id=10156387965500199&mds=%2FphotoHi! I’m new here and have had so much fun scrolling through and seeing all of your wonderful ideas and tips. 

I’ve been wanting to make a dollhouse for years now, my dad made a custom one when I was little that looked just like our house. My sister somehow “lost” it (insert eye roll here) but I still have all of the goodies...including handmade needlepoint rugs by my mom, tons of little food items my dad and brother made, etc. Just no house. Until today.

I had planned on doing a kit, and painting, wallpapering etc prior to assembling it. This beauty kind of fell into my lap today, so I’m starting big I guess!! 

I have SO many questions...but to start with, here are a few...

- does anyone know where I might be able to find dimensions and templates for this house? I found the instruction manual online but it doesn’t have room dimensions. 

You can make templates by taking pieces of scrap paper and laying them against your walls and carefully pressing into the corners and around the doors and windows, and keep adjusting until they fit perfectly.  if you use them to make patterns on posterboard you can paint or paper that...

- how do you wallpaper/paint houses like this that are already assembled?! Especially the room inside the turret? 

Can you remove the turret roof?

- would it be a mistake to try and remove the staircase to paint it?

MUST you paint the staircase, or is it not stained already?

- windows need to be replaced, they’ve yellowed with age. It seems 0.04” plexiglass is the best way to go for most dollhouses, but does that work with Duracraft? I’m worried it will be too thick. 

I save flat transparent acetate packaging, but the plastic report covers work well, too; and when I have used "stained glass" the print transparency worked well, and is cloudy enough to use on its own for bathroom windows.

- the floors are actual hardwood, I was shocked. Is there a way to strip and/or stain them?

Those wood veneer strips came with the kit; I used to apply mine with contact cement.  Of course you can stain them; give them a sanding first and then wipe them with a damp tack cloth and let them dry first.

- wiring is everywhere and very well marked. It’s missing some component that plugs into the side. How do I figure out what I need for that? And can I add additional lights etc?

Someone who wires their houses can answer your questions.  The number of lights you can have will depend on the transformer.

Sorry for so many questions!!! You all seem to have a wealth of knowledge and I think I need all the help I can get.

NEVER apologise for asking questions, it's why we have the Forum.

Thanks so much, I’m so excited to get started on this.

9 hours ago, Ldecs said:

Is it tape wire or round wire?

This is for tapewire https://cir-kitconcepts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=18_50

This is  for round wire https://cir-kitconcepts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_31

Welcome Lisa :wave: I can't wait to see some pictures.

• Like 1

oooooo welcome Lisa!  I have a VM800 also but its currently in pieces as the original owner gave up on it =). You can achieve anything you want to on that house if you've enough patience to figure out the resolution! And ask =). Cant' wait to see pictures!