Andi Mini Bricks

Cathy C

Hi Cathy,

live used the Andi bricks to do an entire exterior.  I would strongly recommend sealing the brick with a non-waterbased sealant before grouting.  I found out the hard way that the grouts moisture can erode the brick if not sealed.  Also, I would use a non-sanded grout—sanded grout is abrasive to the brick as you wipe the surface.

Finished product is beautiful though and very realistic!  Good luck!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Test said:

Also, I would use a non-sanded grout—sanded grout is abrasive to the brick as you wipe...

Good point. The premixed grout that comes in tubs from HD is sanded grout. You’ll have to purchase the dry stuff and mix it. Or you could also use premixed drywall compound. 

• 2 months later...

I applied the bricks with tacky glue.  I used 1/16" wood for spacers.  The top set of bricks has been sealed with two coats (waited 2 hours between coats) of Liquitex Matte Varnish applied with a 1/4" artist brush.  The second set of bricks has not been sealed yet.

image.png

• Like 2

I waited 48 hours for the sealer to dry thoroughly before I grouted the top set.  When I bought the bricks, I also purchased grout.  For the top set, I used "Miniature Brick & Stone Mortar #OR599W-White"  I used a foam brush to apply it and get in between the bricks.  Then I used another foam brush that was damp from water to brush the grout off the bricks, rinsing & blotting the brush as needed.  This grout is sandy & gritty, but it didn't harm the sealed bricks.  And the grout texture seems to add to the realism.  Although the grout looks bright white in the photo, it is a creamy white in person.

In this photo, the bottom set of bricks has one coat of the same matte sealer I used for the first set of bricks.  But these were from a different bag of bricks and it shows how the brick color varies.  When doing a large project that will require more than one bag of bricks, I suggest you use bricks from both bags as you go along so it looks consistent.

image.png

• Like 2

This photo shows the second set of bricks with gray mortar.  I did them just like the first set except I used "Miniature Brick & Stone Mortar #OR599-Grey."  I took this photo right after I finished.  Since the container says that the mortar takes a week or more to fully cure, I expect the color to lighten up.

image.png

• Like 1

Love these bricks.. I've used the stone version on my San Fransican. I like both grouts though do agree the white could use a wash of dirty water to tone it down slightly. :) 

7 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Sam, I think what Cathy is using are actual mini bricks, as the powder stuff and templates Dura-Craft used wouldn't need grouting.  Did you see where she used the grey grout?  It looks much better.

Yes, I knew what she meant. I didn’t use duracraft’s supplied brick mix. I used Andi mini stone. Same manufacturer. They make little individual bricks and stone blocks out of plaster. I like the grey grout but I also like the white. Both options would look equally nice in the right project. :)