Greetings From the Great White North!

13 posts in this topic

Hi folks, I’m Deborah and I live in northern British Columbia. I completed one dollhouse with my mum (Dura-Craft Newburg) many years ago. My current plan, but we know how those can change, is to do a Greenleaf Westville set vaguely in the 1930s-1940s. After that I’m thinking of doing a Beacon Hill (anyone else watch Teen Wolf?). Although I also want to do a Glencroft and a log cabin (based on Laura Ingalls little houses, that’s blamed on a, uh, thanks to a member here although I cant remember who it was).

So little time, so many little houses!

1 person likes this

Welcome to the little family, Deborah.  I believe the Westville is based on a Craftsman bungalow, so your time period is about right for a WWII period family.

1 person likes this

Hi Deborah, you'll find that we're a bunch of enablers here hahahaha.  The Westville is a nice house and I like the layout!  It'll be nice to see your progress =)

1 person likes this

I almost forgot, Jane Harrop has a book with patterns for making 1930s-40s furniture and accessories.

2 people like this

Thank you both for the warm welcome!

Holly, thank you for the book recommendation, I’ve added it to my wish list as well as her other books. They all look really helpful.

As for the Westville, I’ve done some research on it (I love researching stuff).   Greenleaf’s claim about it being a catalogue house isn’t true. The original house was built in the 1860s or so, long before catalogue houses were available (1900 or so). I have a few photos of it, posted on Pinterest, that we’re taken in the 1950s, including a couple interior photos. I was so stoked to find those! I don’t know if sharing links to Pinterest is okay here or not, so if anyone wants to see let me know.

57 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

Welcome Deborah. :wave:

I have a Westville waiting to be built. I like your idea of building it in the 30's or 40's. There is no problem in sharing links. Like Holly said Jane Harrop also has furniture kits.

Thanks for the kit info. She has one of the stove I want which would be less expensive than the metal pre-made one I’m looking at. Decisions, decisions...

Hi Deborah, the Westville was one of my first houses, but I purchased it pre built and in need of a remodel. I loved the size of the kitchen. Have fun.~Karin 

1 person likes this

Hi and welcome! Are you any where near Dawson Creek BC. That is where I am at

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Inge said:

Hi and welcome! Are you any where near Dawson Creek BC. That is where I am at

I’m in Terrace,  not quite neighbours. :(

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Deborah C said:

Thanks for the kit info. She has one of the stove I want which would be less expensive than the metal pre-made one I’m looking at. Decisions, decisions...

Another auther of mini-making books I collect is Patricia King.  I made this stove for the Westville kitchen I built (it was sold before I ever took the box out of the trunk of my car!) from her book Dolls' House Fireplaces and Stoves.

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• Greetings from Alabama!
      By DawnMc4
      Hi! My name is Dawn and I am from Alabama. I got interested in dollhouses about 14 or so years ago and bought a Dura-Craft Newberg. I started to put it together, but messed up some of the parts, so it's still in the box. I've had three kids since I bought it and they, along with other things, have kept me busy. I am hoping once we move later this month I can get it put together with replacement parts I have found.
      I kind of live in a dollhouse. lol It's 768 square feet and I live in it with my husband and our children who are 12, 4, and 2. We have replaced the floors, refurbished walls, and we're going to replace the windows soon. It's cute and cozy like a dollhouse.  Thank you all for letting me in your group!
    • Hello Everyone, Complete Newbie here
      By CJ Sumlin
      Hello!
      I’m from Atlanta, GA and I’ve decided to start on a lifelong dream of mine of having a miniature dollhouse.  I’m going to start small with the Orchid because I don’t know what i’m doing.  When I see all the beautiful houses out here and custom furniture, accessories and stuff, I’m in awe.  You guys are so talented! I’m not a crafts person so all of this looks extremely difficult and looks like it requires a special gift.  Kudos to all of you.  Wish me luck.  I’m going to need it.  If anyone would like to share any words of wisdom, I would greatly appreciate it.  I really am starting with no knowledge at all. 
    • Beacon Hill Dollhouse arrived!!!
      By lbolsega
      Hello everyone! I’m new here. My Greenleaf Beacon Hill kit finally came in today! I’m a bit nervous as this is my first dollhouse build. Can anyone share some tips on what helped you? I heard the instructions are kind of difficult and hard to understand. I’ve been watching the YouTube videos and I can’t find one that is like a step by step. I already know some of the changes I’m going to make or other builders suggestions that I’m going to use. I’ve got most of the starter supplies: the glues, the clamps, painters tape, the ultimate cutter from hobby lobby, stains and some mini screwdrivers and a mini jewelry mallet/hammer. Any help throughout this would be so much appreciated! As A paramedic I work odd shifts so I plan to work on this on days off. I’d also like to possibly make my own kitchen counters. I’m in love with the farmhouse sink and I would like to incorporate that. I also do plan to run electricity.  Thank you all! 
    • My Introduction
      By JSundbakken
      Hello, My name is Jen and I have been a member since last year, but haven't completed my profile until now.  I live in St. Louis, MO and have a wonderful mini support team consisting of my awesome husband and sweet daughter. They know that they must be careful in my "delicate" work room, but that most dollhouse stuff is allowed to be played with and enjoyed.
      I became interested in building dollhouses last year when my daughter received an Arrow 10 room dream house as a gift.  It needed some rehabbing, so I thought this will be a nice project for us to work and play with together.  After a short time, I was hooked on the tiny details and imagining interior designs and have bought several furniture and house kits since.  I enjoy working with the wood, paint and building materials. Playing mini-interior designer is exciting too, as I love working with color theory, and imagining the lives of the little people that inhabit the homes. 
      I grew up playing with a Tomy Smaller Homes house and always wanted a real wooden house.  My cousin received a huge Real Good Toys house from my Uncle that I loved to look upon. It was not a plaything, but a collection. The attic was furnished in Dora Kuhn furniture from her trip to Germany to visit our family.  I thought the hand painted furniture was divine. Hence, my Dora Kuhn fascination began. 
      I recently completed a Greenleaf Orchid imagined as Santa's Gingerbread house.  My next project is a Duracraft Linfield that will be a Shabby Chic beach house.  But don't worry, I have a plethora of other homes and ideas to explore in the future.  Please join me in my mini fun journey.
    • Building a Beacon Hill
      By graymachine
      Hello, my name is David and I live in Kentucky. I purchased a Beacon Hill to build for my daughter after we went to the Children's Museum of Indianapolis and she fell in love with all of the dollhouse and dollhouse-related exhibits there. I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but I am not particularly worried; it'll just take steady work, assuming the cats don't attack it. I'm on the forum looking for particular help with the instructions from time to time. Thanks for anyone that can help me!