Clapboard Siding Misery!

enchanted 1970's house

Hello everyone! I'm new at this stuff, but I've been reading this forum for months and I've learned so much from you all.  Finally realized I should register. I'm hoping you can advise me on one issue...

I'm attempting to renovate a large 1970's dollhouse that originally had no siding.  Very carefully I glued on clapboard siding (the kind that comes in overlapping wooden sheets) using Beacon Quik-Grip.  After letting each side dry overnight, weighted down and taped, I began to paint it with Kilz primer and regular latex house paint.  And then... horrors!  The siding began to warp a bit and came up in a few spots!  The water-based paint must have overwhelmed the sticking power of the glue.

But even so, the warping was minor enough that I thought I could just get away with squeezing more glue under the lifted edges and weighting them down.  It was still not quite as even as it had been before painting, but it seemed... okay.  

But THEN... we went away from the house for a couple of hot summer months, and when we came back I saw that the humidity had done a number on the siding.  MORE warping!  I ended up scraping off one entire side of it.

Do you have any advice to keep this from happening again?  Is there another kind of paint I could use that might impart less moisture to the wood?

Thank you!  

L

Welcome Laura!

Well, that just stinks! I live in a very dry area so I don't have humidity issues. This brand was recommended to me at a mini class in Dallas. It is a white shellac. 

I don't know if it is any better for warping. Also, maybe try a wood glue or tacky glue.

I apply siding with wood glue and weight it.  When I paint it I do two or three fairly light coats, letting each coat dry.  The only siding on real life 1:1 houses I've seen that didn't have some slight warping was either aluminum or vinyl; wood siding can warp.

I usually pre paint my siding sheets. They will warp, but straighten back out when they dry. Then I use E6000 rather than a water based glue to apply the siding. I tape/clamp/weight it down to let the glue set. Once it’s set, it doesn’t move and I’ve repainted houses afterwards with no issues.

When I was applying siding, I made sure to apply the glue evenly so I used my finger to spread it thinly and evenly.  Then I taped.  I live in Florida where humidy is ridiculously high.  It warped a bit while drying but then it flattened back out. Welcome to the group, by the way.  Hope you get it conquered.    

I also pre painted my siding. I tried it both ways, but it actually seems better / easier doing it individually, so you get better coverage and don't have to worry about getting in all the cracks. Also, you don't have to use a lot of glue. That's just more moisture to introduce. Same when you're doing shingles. I just use small dots. I also live in a humid area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...