Moving my dollhouse studio

Mini maniac

This is more if a rant than anything.  I decided to move my dollhouse studio to a larger room.  Basically, switching the two rooms. It took all day yesterday just to move the closets.  So, I am no even close to being done.  The problem is that I start looking at things and organizing but then I start playing with miniatures that I forgot I had. Tick tock goes the clock.  Nothing is getting done.  But I did find some mini's that I would like to sell whenever I get this move done.  Is Ebay the best place? At this rate, I should be done in a few months, lol. 

Hahaha,  I can relate.  I had water damage after Hurricane Harvey in my craft room and had to remove everything to have new carpet installed.  It took me weeks to reorganize all my stuff.  I too spent more time looking at all my forgotten/packed/hidden mini's.   What is worse, I couldn't find a thing after organizing everything.  I think I work better in disarray.  Anyway, have fun exploring all your treasures.

• Like 1

Since it’s taking longer than you thought anyway, it might be time to do an inventory, or even a photo inventory. That way you can organize the photos into categories for future “shopping your own stash.”

Periodically I reorganize my minis and decide to sell pieces I’m not going to use. I set them aside into a drawer specifically marked for resale. I use eBay and find it works well.

I like to be able to see everything too, but it’s not always practical for me, so I label drawers. It makes it easier to find things later. :D 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dalesq said:

Since it’s taking longer than you thought anyway, it might be time to do an inventory, or even a photo inventory. That way you can organize the photos into categories for future “shopping your own stash.”

Periodically I reorganize my minis and decide to sell pieces I’m not going to use. I set them aside into a drawer specifically marked for resale. I use eBay and find it works well.

I like to be able to see everything too, but it’s not always practical for me, so I label drawers. It makes it easier to find things later. :D 

A photo inventory - A fabulous idea! I need to get started with that, too many of my purchases are in boxes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mini maniac said:

The problem is that I start looking at things and organizing but then I start playing with miniatures that I forgot I had

I just reorganized too! I was worrying that I have early dementia because I had forgotten what I had.......I think I'll name it Mini-Delirium, it seems to be a common affliction!

• Like 4

Since the studio has to double as a place for suitcases when I have guests, it got a good clean up today. Work in progress is in large, well-marked bins, and the sanding paraphernalia and miscellaneous tools are in a shallow box tucked under a table. It would appear to the uninitiated that the artist in residence is very well organized. Ha. Without labeling nearly every receptacle, I'd have no clue where to find anything :D 

• Like 2

When we moved all our crafting stuff out to my 'crafting cottage' (12 x 9 approx sleepout we built originally for our nephew who came to live with us for 2 years), my daughter and I bought a heap of plastic takeaway type boxes. We made labels and stuck in everything from pipe cleaners, buttons, metal bits and feathers to jewellery, beads and sequins!  They're stacked into a large two door cupboard.  I have since transferred all my scrapbooking stuff back into the spare room to free up some more cupboard space.  I have a cube full of new stuff but I have to empty it out to try to find anything.  I think it's a fantastic idea to have photos of what's in storage!  All my tools are kept in a metal filing cabinet with shallow drawers, my power tools are under a table in another cube.  We're going to build our next house and we're going to create an area just for my crafting.  I'd really like a table or bench where all the power tools are set up and ready to use.  I know I'd use them more often!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

My actual workbench sits in front of a window in my workshop with most of my power tools and most frequently used hand tools hung on a pegboard mounted to the wall beside the window.

My next home improvement project is to mount a pegboard by the work table in the garage for power tools and larger hand tools. Now they are in boxes and closed tool boxes, hard to keep track of. Small hand tool reside in an open, bucket-type tool box beside my desk/worktable in the studio, and my pistol-grip Dremel is also within reach in the studio.

• Like 2

Wow!!  Thanks you all for the tips!  Great ideas!!   I am still working on it, lol.  I have everything moved in there now including the "Big Beast" house.  I am now just organizing and planning my workspace which is soooo much bigger!!  Yay!!  I did not know we were allowed to sell on here but that is great!!  I mainly work with 1:12 and I have a bunch of scale 1:24 that I have been accumulating. I keep thinking maybe some day I will make a 1:24 scale house but I never do. My husband is making me a slide out cart for my completed houses which will be nice too.  Thanks for all the words of encouragement.  You are all great!

46 minutes ago, Mini maniac said:

...I did not know we were allowed to sell on here but that is great!!...

Just be sure to read and comply with the instructions given at the top of the first page.

• Like 1