Very first dollhouse - Advice please

LizFrink

Hello everyone.  I just bought my first dollhouse (The Orchid) and I'm excited but rather nervous to start it.  I want to make sure I do everything right, so I'm asking for your tips & tricks for starting out.  I've looked around the site a bit, but there's so many posts here it's kind of over-whelming.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Liz, I also am working on an Orchid. It’s a really cute little house. I elected to omit the stairs to give me more space, so I cut a smal piece of wood and glued it in the space. In my kit there was a piece of trim inside the stair hole that I want to use, so I couldn’t just not punch that piece out. But that is an option that is the easiest way to fill in the hole. If you are interested in doing this, search my posts and you’ll find that thread.

If you search on the term Orchid and look at images, you can find a lot of members’ projects that can give you some ideas. The Orchid makes a great haunted house if you’re interested in that. The one slightly tricky part about the Orchid is the windows. The house frame forms part of the window frame...it’s an illusion. So you need to paint the part of the house frame at the windows the same color as you intend to paint the windows. There is another recent post about these windows that I’m sure someone else will link here. I’m working from a mobile device and it’s not as quick at searching. THe directions have you installing the windows before you assemble the house but I’ve chosen not to do that. Some people like to wallpaper each piece before assembling but I don’t want any gaps at the wall connections so I have assembled it first and will finish the walls later.

there is so much flexibility with dollhouses, I suggest you read lots of posts to get different ideas so you can do what you want. Everything you do will be a learning experience, so be prepared!

Good luck and have fun!

• Like 1

The Orchid is a great house for beginners.  I built one some time ago.  First, do NOT use hot glue.  Wood glue or Aleenes Fast Grab Tacky glue work great.  Also, make sure that you have a plan and always dry fit parts before glueing. Work on a level sturdy table and have clamps, clothes pins, and tape nearby.But the most  important thing is to have fun with it.  To me, its like a puzzle that gets more and more detailed as you go. Be patient with it and yourself. 

• Like 1

Liz, if you click on the "Blogs" button at the upper left of every page you will find TWO Team building blogs for the Orchid, since it's such a popular little house; one for the regular building team and one for whatever members wanted to see what they could do with it.  Also at one time the Orchid kit was die cut out of a white plastic (sterlite?) and some of us had an interesting time building that one(regular plastic model cement didn't faze that stuff; E6000 conquered it) and there's a section of the gallery devoted to it, plus for some reason I wound up with two albums of my version.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LizFrink said:

I want to make sure I do everything right,

Hi Liz. Your goal is a lofty one, and i understand you want to be pleased with the end result. However, keep in mind that there is really no right way to build a dollhouse. If you ask a question, you will receive answers that reflect a variety of ways to tackle a challenge. The one that seems most practical to you is the one to go with. The best advice will keep you from doing something that isn't going to work well. Yet keep in mind that there is almost no error that can't be fixed. 

Have fun with the build and decorating. Don't be afraid to experiment. Try not to obsess over perfection. My mantra is "smoke and mirrors" -- if it ends up looking right, it IS right, however you got there. :D 

• Like 1