just bought the heritage and just realised something

asherah

omg I'm watching this video on the gheritage and it looksl like the walls are in peices  ! like not panels?! What?! I'm freaking out now lol. I'm sorry for typos I'm having issues iwt my ashtma because I have a cold, in halor makes me shaky!

amanda

• Like 1

I'm assuming your Heritage is a Dura-Craft kit, since many of them had milled in clapboard exterior walls that were made of sections of milled plywood that fit together with tongue and groove; there have been several discussions in various threads about this.  When I built my first D-C, the SF555, I found it useful where in the video he talks about shaving away at areas to get things to fit better.  Even using my steel carpenter's square to assemble those walls and a plumb bob to keep the corner posts perpendicular whilst sliding the walls into them I still got small gaps (hammering helped; you'll want to use a bit of scrap wood to protect the surfaces) easily hidden with spackle.  The Cambridge I built was also like that.

I STRONGLY recommend you wait until after your cold is better to tackle any of it.

3 hours ago, asherah said:

omg this sounds complicated...And yeh after cold is a great advice lol.

This is why we keep stressing to take it one step at a time and dry fit as you go.  This isn't a race.

It's not that bad and in the long run it actually makes things easier. The sides are lengths of wood milled on one side to make siding and flat on the other side. All you do is set up the edging (pieces of wood with slots in them) and slide the sides down, leaving gaps for the window and doors. Once it's done, you have flat walls inside and the siding is already in place on the outside. It will look really nice when you're done.

Hope you feel much better soon. Seems like a lot of people aren't feeling all that good right now. I wonder if something is going around.

And Holly, you stay safe with that hurricane coming. Where is Kathie B these days? I hope she's out of harm as well, and everyone else affected by the weather, too.

• Like 1

Kelly, Kathie is tucked away in GA north of Atlanta and near her sister.  They might get some rain from Michael, but the Carolinas are going to really suffer.  We are well on the west side of this one, so probably get some rain.  Landfall is expected in the Big Bend, so Panama City and Port St Joe are likely to get hammered.  We told the son in Tallahassee to hunker down; he has one of his homeless friends hanging out until the storm passes, since he has no business staying in his tent!

Actually those interior walls will not be entirely smooth' there will be seams where the tongues fit into the grooves; there's some rounding, so nothing fits flush.  After the walls are glued together and slid into the corner slots I strongly recommend giving them a coat of spackle, let it dry thoroughly and sand it smooth.  I wish I had known to do that when I built my first two.

• Like 1

You might want to look at Brae's Haunted Heritage (Otterine). She made some modifications to the kit, but also used a lot of the original pieces like windows. If you look at the beginning photos in her album you'll see the way the walls went together. It’s a really inspiring album and worth the time to look!

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=5254&page=1

• Like 2

So I looked at the link and wow that's an amazing house. I just love the way the interior stairs were done and wow ! I've never seen a house built that way. Not sure I would have bought it if I had known lol. I wonder what made them decide to do it this way..