Hi everyone. I'm new. My name is Olga. I am from Russia. I'm just starting to build my first dollhouse. And I understand that it will be a difficult process. I'm just preparing everything I need. I love dolls and make clothes for them. My dolls are Heidi Ott dolls.

5997.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to the little family, Olga.  Where do you find such fine, thin yarn?  To get my knitting in scale I have to go with single strands of embroidery floss for in-scale 4-ply, and I have no idea what to use for finer work like yours.

• Like 1

havanaholly, I also have had this problem when wanting to do some very tiny knitting. There was a specialty yarn shop in town that carried 100% wool needlepoint yarn. It was the kind made to be separated into thin strands and came in tiny hanks. It worked very well. If you google "Waverly wool needlepoint yarn" there are photos of what that type of yarn looks like.

It's so hard to find fine yarn in the US! I'm not even sure if at its thinnest ply that would be as fine as what Olga uses, but just wanted to pass it on in case it might be helpful. :)

• Like 1

Thank you, Melissa.  Another reason I can't imagine me knitting with such a fine denier wool is that my arthritis and the tiny knitting needles don't always see eye to eye.  This is why I haven't tried tatting thread; although I did once knit up a pair of longjohns in red candlewicking thread.

• Like 2

Morning! Thank you for the lovely words. I use the very thin yarn for my work. Usually, it is 100%, Merino. Or Merino and silk. This yarn is made in Italy. I'm using a magnifying glass. My spokes 0000. But I'm not exactly sure what the graduation spokes in the United States. Here I wrote a post about yarn and knitting needles.

http://creativhook.com/creativhook-secrets/

• Like 1

Olga, did you used to belong to Small Stuff?  Thank you for the info on yarns.  I can crochet with sewing thread, although over here it's mostly polyester that produces a ghastly shiny result that doesn't really drape nicely.  All of my 000 and 0000 needles are double pointed; I see yours have wee knobs on the ends.

• Like 2

KathieB    Thank you so much! Your blog is amazing. I will read it with great interest!

Holly ( havanaholly) I am sorry, but i don't know what is Small Stuff))))  You can try crochet with viscose yarn for embroidery. Madeira or Gutterman, They can be knitted in two threads and use a 0.6 mm hook See in the image

5077377384fe7ee69c6e837dc84r--materialy-dlya-tvorchestva-nitki-madeira-rayon-madejra-rajon-.jpg

074415_5.jpg

il_642xN.1152724734_eu1d.jpg

• Like 1

Small Stuff Digest; they lost me when I moved and I couldn't get my email changed.  I remember a mini needlework artisan named Olga and thought you might be she.  One of the reasons I keep looking for all-cotton sewing threads is precisely because they look & drape as they ought to.  Regular needlework shops seem to be going the way of the dollhouse miniature stores over here in the US, as online shopping takes over.  I shall keep looking.

• Like 1

Holly, I'm so sorry you can't do as much of the small scale needlework as you'd like to. I have tendonitis and find working so small with crocheting or knitting to make it act up more.

You mentioned using double pointed needles. The smallest knitting needles I have are 000/1.5 mm. I remember looking all over online to find "real" teensy knitting needles years ago, rather than wood dpn (I have a mix of both since they are so hard to find). I ended up finding a site that sold them to make beaded purses, of all things! For ones with a decorative end, they go as small as 00000. I have two of their sets and like them.
https://www.purseparadise.com/store/c9/Knitting_Needles.html

Believe me, there are more frog stitches than not, and lots of *magic* words get uttered in the process!  Eventually I will make a doll that will fit the longjohns; the instructions I followed made them to fit a heavier-set man than my 1:12 Ken.