How to do inset panelling

Shareb

So I'm busy with the main wall cabinet behind the counter.  The problem that i have now is that in the real room, the shapes/panels are a 'cut out' rather than an 'add on', so they're inset rather than sticking out.  They also have that wee cut out of each corner.  I've figured how to do that with a hole punch but I can't figure how to do the inset panels cleanly.  Any ideas?

large.IMG_20181013_170111-Optimized.jpg.

The framing around the shelf units also have that little rounded bump-out in the corners. How are you going to do that? I'm thinking you'll need to use a very sharp (read: new) pointed Exacto blade and carefully cut away the openings rather than apply add-on panels if you want to be accurate for both the shelving and the center panel. 

Rather than cutting the panels from the heavy card stock, you might use a lighter stock and glue two pieces together to get the thickness needed. It might be easier to get clean cuts with thinner material.

Sudden thought: What about making the panel with cutouts out of polymer clay rolled thin? I made a fireplace insert using a thin piece of poly clay. Granted it is smaller than the panels you'll need to make, but it might be worth a try. I should think it would be much easier to get the edges neat with the clay, as any irregularities in cutting could be worked out. See the fireplace screen here.

• Like 1

Rather than adding the panels, make a cardstock template of your wall and cut away where you want your inset panels after laying them on it where you want them and use the template for a pattern for either the matboard, polymer clay or whatever material you use for the finished paneling.

• Like 1

Why not give the illusion of the inset by just using a thin trim quarter round piece and create the French Provincial look that way? For the corners, trim wood can be bent by getting it very wet and forming it around a glass using rubber bands until you get the curve needed for the corners. 

• Like 1

Just a thought Rebecca but over here and from the model boat suppliers you can get what it known as ‘flexible Beech strip’. This comes in a variety of widths but it is used when forming the hull so it needs to bend with the minimum of wetting and it holds its form without splitting or deforming...........I can always get it here and send it if suppliers won’t ship. Try ‘Cornwall Model Boat’ or ‘Model Dockyard’...........both UK based. Personal preference is ‘Model Dockyard’

I would probably cut frames in mat board and edge in ‘rigging thread’ which is none furry and uber flexible!

just a thought!

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2018‎ ‎12‎:‎48‎:‎11‎, KathieB said:

The framing around the shelf units also have that little rounded bump-out in the corners. How are you going to do that? I'm thinking you'll need to use a very sharp (read: new) pointed Exacto blade and carefully cut away the openings rather than apply add-on panels if you want to be accurate for both the shelving and the center panel. 

Rather than cutting the panels from the heavy card stock, you might use a lighter stock and glue two pieces together to get the thickness needed. It might be easier to get clean cuts with thinner material.

Sudden thought: What about making the panel with cutouts out of polymer clay rolled thin? I made a fireplace insert using a thin piece of poly clay. Granted it is smaller than the panels you'll need to make, but it might be worth a try. I should think it would be much easier to get the edges neat with the clay, as any irregularities in cutting could be worked out. See the fireplace screen here.

I haven't completely disregarded the polymer clay idea - I think I may try it!  I'm not going to get any more done this week.  Have to take my uncle to the hospital tomorrow for chest x-rays and then the kids and I are flying down to visit my family in the South Island from Weds.  This is what I've done - it looks okay - have broken the points of two new blades in the making of these 8 panels!!

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2018‎ ‎3‎:‎53‎:‎54‎, Sable said:

Why not give the illusion of the inset by just using a thin trim quarter round piece and create the French Provincial look that way? For the corners, trim wood can be bent by getting it very wet and forming it around a glass using rubber bands until you get the curve needed for the corners. 

The idea of curving wood is a little scary!!!

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2018‎ ‎6‎:‎55‎:‎54‎, MikeUK said:

Just a thought Rebecca but over here and from the model boat suppliers you can get what it known as ‘flexible Beech strip’. This comes in a variety of widths but it is used when forming the hull so it needs to bend with the minimum of wetting and it holds its form without splitting or deforming...........I can always get it here and send it if suppliers won’t ship. Try ‘Cornwall Model Boat’ or ‘Model Dockyard’...........both UK based. Personal preference is ‘Model Dockyard’

I would probably cut frames in mat board and edge in ‘rigging thread’ which is none furry and uber flexible!

just a thought!

Thanks Mike - I'll have another play with these when I can and see how I get on.  Edging it with something isn't a silly idea!

Thanks all!  Here's what I've got so far - I haven't glued on the inset panels as they're not wonderful so I'll probably play around with other ideas until I'm happy.

large.IMG_20181015_155423-Optimized.jpg.

7 hours ago, havanaholly said:

By golly, I think you've got it!

To look at closely they're not the best but do you think they tend to blend in and look okay?  After all, it's at the back of the shop and there will be so much to look at.  I was thinking about using polymer clay overnight and thinking it would be quite hard to keep the sides exact.  I can see it stretching in awkward ways while trying to cut out the shape.....

1 hour ago, Shareb said:

do you think they tend to blend in and look okay? 

Absolutely! :clap: Now it's time to stop fiddling with this and get on to something else. :D 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

As someone has said, it's the back of the shop, and it's all smoke & mirrors anyhow; it's how it finally looks that you're going for.

I'm gradually learning this!  :D

24 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Absolutely! :clap: Now it's time to stop fiddling with this and get on to something else. :D 

Lol!  I wish I could! :D A few more....

Nobody is going to stand in front of your shop with a photo of the original in hand and look for discrepancies. Try to keep in mind that you are aiming for an illusion, the essence of the original, not a clone. That may help reduce the anxiety level. :) 

• Like 1

Thank you all!

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2018‎ ‎10‎:‎16‎:‎18‎, KathieB said:

Nobody is going to stand in front of your shop with a photo of the original in hand and look for discrepancies. Try to keep in mind that you are aiming for an illusion, the essence of the original, not a clone. That may help reduce the anxiety level. :) 

Yes - I do try to keep telling myself that Kathie!!!!  :D 

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2018‎ ‎10‎:‎42‎:‎45‎, havanaholly said:

*sigh At least she doesn't let let her craving for perfection paralyze her.

Lol Holly - I just read this out to my daughter and said - "The folks on Greenleaf are beginning to know me!"  hehehe..... :cucumber:

Right, now off to the airport!  The kids and I are flying down to see my beautiful Mama and the rest of my family.  Plus we're going to meet my new Great Niece!!!!  So looking forward to cuddles - she is such an adorable wee bundle!!  See you in a few days! xx