Creating My Own Wallpaper Designs

LeFemmeFatale

Okay, so, I have had a problem trying to find exactly the right wallpaper to use since I am going for a very specific theme for my house, and I am VERY picky. I did find a few scrapbook papers that were the right design, but the scale is off for the Fairfield. 

Then it occurred to me that I am a former graphic designer, and I could just create my own wallpaper designs exactly how I wanted them (DUH). My question is with scaling. I am not good at math, and don't know anything about wallpaper...so I'm wondering, aside from printing out a ton of samples and wasting a bunch of paper and ink to see what looks right, is there some kind of mathematical formula or conversion chart that might tell me roughly how small I should scale my design down? 

I know that in 1:24 scale 1/2" equals 1 foot..but the problem is I don't know how big a wallpaper print should be in real life. Example, for a damask design, how many of the damask flowery pieces would occur in a foot in real life? 

Does any of this make sense? lol

I understand your question. It varies. A large damask print may have only one medallion per square foot, and a smaller print would have less. If you google wallpapers some sites will show you how much of the pattern is within a square foot. Remember, for half scale, one square foot is the same as a half inch square. 

You might want to print tests in black and white, just for scale and to see how the pattern repeats on the wall. I print a lot of my own wallpapers, and I tend to like William Morris so prints are usually large. 

• Like 1

Rachel, you could take a ruler with you to your local paint or hardware store and sit down with the wallpaper albums and measure their designs.  I lucked out and found some lightweight card pads of mini scrapbook paper with perfect 1:24 designs on clearance at Wally World and used those.