eyelets for wiring

kemck

Hi everyone,

It has been a few years since I've been on the forum. I was working on wiring the Arthur, ran into a frustration point, and life got busy, but... time to finish this project (or at least make progress again!).  To avoid trying to pound an eyelet into the weak upstairs wall of the Arthur I tried using a manual drill someone suggested, but the eyelet connections are really loose and there is not electrical connection in the joined wire because I couldn't hold the drill steady enough (I did try to use the block of wood that came with the drill for support). Is there anything I can do to salvage the connection I tried to make or do I have to try to make another one? If I do have to re-do it how can I avoid the same mistake in the future? Thanks!

If the hole in the tapewire is too large than yes you may have to move a new portion of the tapewire over the hole. I’d try to fill the hole with some balsa shavings and some wood glue. Then reapply the tapewire. With a pin, Peel back some of the cellophane on the tapewire to expose the copper. . Sometimes that cellophane folds into the hole and prevents a connection of the eyelet to the copper tape. Predrill the tapewire hole with a pin. Just poke at it a few times. While the glue is setting in the hole push the eyelet through the pin holes and let the glue hold the eyelet in place.

Hi Kim..….Try raping the eyelet about four times with some bare miniature lamp wire also take a small piece about half inch bare wire shaped like a hockey stick put in your eyelet hole.   This combo will titin the hole and your bare wrap around the eyelet should make contact with your tape. If you think the eyelet still wont stay in stick some more wire in the hole as additional shim.

Just my two cents

Silver Dollar Out

I bought tapewire for my apothecary.  I used round wire in my Pierce.  Hubby reckons I don't need eyelets etc (raped or not - sorry....) just solder the wires to the tape wire.  Anyone do this?

1 hour ago, Shareb said:

solder the wires to the tape wire.  Anyone do this?

I have done this and had a joint fail (I think). The connection to the light that no longer works is inaccessible, so I can't be sure, but I have a feeling the soldered bit came apart somehow.

I'm not usually a belt and suspenders kind of person, but my modus operandi is now to use eyelets and solder the joint. Tracing a failed electrical system is not my idea of fun.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KathieB said:

I'm not usually a belt and suspenders kind of person, but my modus operandi is now to use eyelets and solder the joint. Tracing a failed electrical system is not my idea of fun.

Fantastic advice!  Thank you!

Well thanks guys. Encouraging that there are options. I'm just worried that every connection at least in the upper level is going to go like this! Fingers crossed. At least there are some things to try now. 

29 minutes ago, Sable said:

I have a needle push tool that goes through the wood with some hand strength, no pounding required. I use it to predrill first then put the eyelet on the needle and yah it through the hole. 

Is that the BamBam?