Emmy's kitchen

grazhina

I've spent the last few weeks making an old fashioned kitchen roombox for my granddaughter for Xmas. I started by stripping a Town Square hutch, which was a real pain. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if the darn thing hadn't been painted black, which had seeped into the wood.

I used an easy build roombox from Miniatures.com, but chose to leave the top and the acrylic front off. It's easier for play without the top. I also reinforced the walls to the base by gluing strips of wood along the outside where the walls are glued to the base. I made the hutch along the back wall. After I made the drawers I realized I had marked the drawer fronts 1/16th inch too narrow, so there's more of a gap than I intended. I wanted a slight gap to ensure that the drawers moved easily for a seven year old. I might remake the drawers if it continues to bother me. I  forgot to glue the clock to the wall, but I'm thinking of adding a few more things. I needed to put everything into place so I'd know if I wanted to add anything else to make it look just right. I feel there should be a woodbox in the corner by the stove, then Em will learn that all stoves weren't always gas or electric. She will also learn that people used to keep ice boxes on porches or in back entry rooms, which is why there's none in the kitchen. Frankly, I didn't feel like jamming an ice box in there.

IMG_2774.JPG

IMG_2777.JPG

IMG_2778.JPG

• Like 2

I love your kitchen!  When I built the farmhouse I put the fridge on the side porch, just outside the kitchen, since there was no room.  The hubs' grandmother had her old monitor-top fridge in the kitchen, but the nice, big modern job was in the pantry (former side porch).

Lovely work, as usual, Grazhina. :) We had an icebox on the porch in the house where I was born -- 1941 -- in the suburbs of Chicago. I remember the iceman with his tongs and the big piece of heavy leather that protected his shoulder from the block of ice balanced on it. The kitchen was way too small to include an icebox or refrigerator. And a great aunt and uncle who lived nearby had a huge wood burning stove in the kitchen. Well, huge to me, anyway, as a 4- or 5-year-old.

I love that Grazhina, it reminds me of the old German room box kitchens. What a treasure for her. 

I had had to edit...ditzy me..thought I was posting onwhats everyone working on topic...

50 minutes ago, Msdemeanr said:

So cool! I love the high pantry shelf, it’s a great use of space. I can’t imagine having to keep a stove burning to cook. What a cool present!

The lady of the house would rise up and start the fire in the stove and put a kettle on to heat water, then light the fires in the fireplaces she'd laid the night before and go get dressed, wake the hubs & kids to do the pre-dawn chores and by then the water was hot enough for the hubs to shave whilst she made the biscuits and whisked the eggs the children brought in.  Hopefully Emmy will one day appreciate the freedom we have now.