New Here - Introduction

5 posts in this topic

Hi, new member here and wanted to introduce myself. I built a Harrison for my daughter several years ago; and although I was in over my head for a first timer, I enjoyed myself so much I wanted to build another one although I couldn’t justify building one if I wasn’t making it for someone (I’m not a collector (yet)). It’s been about 8 years, but I’m jumping back in with an Orchid kit that I’m kind of envisioning as a beach cottage. I’m excited for my winter project and really grateful for all the expertise and inspiration I’m finding here. I live in Virginia just outside of Washington DC.

1 person likes this

Brandi, I have a son who lives in Burke, VA.  Welcome to the little family.  It is certainly permissible to build more than one house to play with.

Welcome Brandi. :wave:The Orchid is an adorable house. I like your beach cottage idea.

Hi Brandi! I love your screen name! Your beach cottage sounds like an amazing idea!  Certainly will keep you warm during a Viriginia Winter

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• Refurbishing Old Harrison Dollhouse
      By Cinderbella
      Greetings!
      I am brand new to this community and it looks like a really fun place to get involved! I have done some dollhouse work here and there in the past, but I am now undertaking a BIG project. My daughter-in-law gave me her old Harrison dollhouse several years ago because she no longer wanted it and knew I enjoyed working on things like that. It was overwhelming and just sat in my basement.    BUT, she and my son had a little girl 2 years ago, and I would now like to fix it up for my one and only grandchild! 
      My biggest problem is that it is VERY rickety and feels as if it could fall apart quite easily. I am going to mount it to a base and add casters. But I don't know how to go about making the rest of it more sturdy. It would likely be easier to purchase a new one and start all over again, but I think there will be some great sentimental value if I use this one. My son and his wife are very big into that sort of thing! 
      IF I can take it apart and start again, would that be the best way to go? (Not sure if that's possible.) And of course, I also wonder if things will just break if I do attempt to take it apart! As of now, there are no broken walls, etc. The only missing piece is one window and a small piece of trim on the outside. I have written Greenleaf to ask if they have a window I can purchase. If not, I have no clue how to find that! 
      Perhaps there is some way to add some wood in some way to provide a better structure or make it more sturdy? If so, please let me know, because I am clueless! 
      I have tons of decorating ideas and that part will be easy for me. But I was a little stunned at the cost of furniture. So any advice (beside 2nd hand stores - as I've tried them regularly) for finding cheap furniture or furniture kits - or places where I can make furniture - but somewhat decent stuff (not a paper couch) - would be greatly appreciated! I actually would like to make the furniture, but I want it to look really pretty without being overly complicated to make. I am good with crafts, but haven't done much work with wood!   Ha!
      Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I appreciate it more than you can know!!!!
      Warm regards,

• Do You Believe in Siding After a Build?
      By third_hand
      Hi everyone! I've had a long quiet period on here, but I've been steadily working away and going to shows/shops (I was at Good Sam in San Jose and was fortunate to visit Dollhouses, Trains, and More in Novato, CA for their closing sale). I will, finally, post a batch of haul and progress photos in the first week of November, when I get settled back into my home in Eugene. I really am terrible with a camera and it bugs everyone I know! In the meantime, I have a question: 
      Has anyone ever tried adding siding after their build's exterior was complete? Still being a novice, when I finished my first build (the Orchid; the interior is still a work-in-progress) I stepped back and thought 'I think I should have done siding.' Especially with the shingles on, the level of detail on the exterior just varies too much; it's been irritating me for a couple of months now. I'm a bit of a stickler it seems (though I didn't know it at the time)! My window/door casings, dormers, gingerbread, and my custom porch/railings are all already in place. I realize it may be very difficult, but the question is: is it even possible? If so, do you have any tips on how to do this?
      Any and all possible mini wisdom is welcome!  
      P.S. I have the opportunity to snag a very affordable Laurel kit secondhand so I'm trying to decide where I should just start the next building with siding and call it 'lesson learned' or go back and add to the Orchid (and stash the Laurel until after the New Year, space is a very important consideration here). P.S. P.S.: I'm not a Cher fan, but I took a page out of Elizabeth's book (Studio E miniatures) since I'm always charmed by her ability to make musical jokes in her posts/titles!
    • Hello Everyone, I’m so excited to be here
      By Lula
      Oh my goodness, I so happy I found this forum. Super excited to get to know all these creative minds.  I have zero experience building dollhouses - well as an art student 100 years ago in HS, I did create a miniature Shakespearian Scene for my English teacher. That’s it!
      My husband purchase this dollhouse for my at a Fleamarket. I’m planning on rehabbing it ;-) 
      xxx-ooo

• I finally figured it out!
      By hmayonayz
      I finally got it! I'm building my first house, the Orchid.  I literally sat and stressed for hours yesterday about the stairs, which were horrible and splintery and way too big really for the housel. So I found angieaug's video on youtube and the lightbulb went on. I cobbled together a set this morning that fits like I want and she made it easy as pie. Eating pie that is, lol. So thanks to her! They are drying but I need to figure out wallpaper and stuff before I put them in permanently. 
    • New from Madison, Wisconsin
      By gimpnelly
      Hi there! I just purchased an Orchid kit that I’m very excited to build and wanted to join this community to chat about it! I have one unfinished dollhouse that’s just too big for my current home (it’s 32” wide and I needed something smaller), so I decided to start over again. By day, I’m in marketing and I live with my fiancé and our two cats in Madison. I also like to read, write, play video games, watch TV, and see live music. Nice to meet you all!