11/6/06 What other Hobbies Do You Have?

Minis On The Edge

Other hobbies? I am my husband's biggest fan--and the kids--grandkids--great grandkids--the dogs....

I am a quilter. I enjoy creating quilts for others to enjoy. My mother lives in a nursing home, and I piece quilt tops from blocks the ladies there embroider. They sell them to help with some of their special outings. My granddaughter is a St. Jude kid (recovering from childhood cancer), and I have made many quilts for the kids there. I belong to a guild of 260 quilters. I'm also teaching my grandkids to quilt. Seems like I'm teaching them a lot of things. There are sooooo many of them---29!

I have always loved architecture, old houses, restoring furniture, designing and building things My kids were the only ones in their school whose mother had her own power tools and workshop. I loved to dig up the yard and plant things.

A few years ago, I was badly injured in an auto crash. I surprised everyone by surviving and learning to walk again. My activities are somewhat limited, but now I can get back to a long ago passion---building dollhouses! I enjoy it sooo much. I still sew and draw and paint and read, but the dollhouses are something special to me. With the huge family I have, dolls and dollclothes do take some of my time, but building dollhouses is the most fun. Some day, when I don't feel so selfish, I may let some of the kids help.

Maybe it is up to me to teach them to build dollhouses? Naww! Not now, I'd rather do it myself!

Nancy

Maybe I'll learn to speak French!

Is being a smart-*ahem* a hobby? Coz if it is, it's my very favorite. <cackle> In addition to annoying people, I'm also a textile artist. Actually, I prefer the term "textile manipulator" because I manipulate fibers, beads, threads, paints, dyes, silks, ribbons, etc into things with fabric. If I can attach it to fabric, I'll use it! I think the strangest thing I've combined with fabric was a padlock. Anyway, I'm also a fanatic reader and I can't live a minute without music of one kind or another. I'm also into eastern theology and history, the Tarot, interior design, villaging, gaming, cooking and cats. I collect a lot of different things........asian art, cork, jade and shell carvings, Tiffany lamps, asian weapons, and weird people. I'm into technology too and love anything that beeps and has flashing lights. I also own a race car and love guns. But mostly, I love minis.

Deb

Apart from minis I make porcelain dolls, dollshouse and big (neither well, but I'm working on it!), machine knit, make greetings cards and am currently playing at painting ceramics ......................just need a small lottery win so that I can play full time lol

Ellen :wave:

i like most crfts. just don't have enough time or mind at the moment to do.

I like gardening, collecting way to much. scraping , crocheting,, painting.

some day i will get my life in line and be able to get busy forgot to mention i am learning to quilt.

my mom is really ill right now so life is on hold till she is better.

soprok

My hobbies: Beadwork/jewlery making, needlepoint/cross-stitch, scrapbooking, crochet (not very well), poly clay (still new), sewing, computers, and lots of other crafty talents that I am trying to bring into my mini-ing! :wave:

Of course I am a wife mother and full time worker, but those aren't hobbies to me! Its a "life scentence" that I love!

Well...beside minis, I like working with wood & fixing up stuff in the house that I never had time to do before I retired. I'm into history & like to collect anything old from my area. Besides a rather extensive collection of old photographs of my area, I volunteer with a historic preservation group. I'm also heavily involved in volunteer emergency service for the past 35 years, serving with the fire, rescue, ambulance depts. & currently am emergency management coordinator for my area. I also like modern technology, especially computers & videos.....old movies!!!! That takes care of about 2 hours of my day!! The rest of the day, I take care of our 2 Jack Russells , Bobbi & Beau, while Madeline is at work !!

Steve

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smb900

For me reading is way up there. I also like scrapbooking, crocheting, and playing with my cats. Yep, I play games with them.

Now for some reason when I read that, I got a visual of you playing card games.......kinda like dogs playing poker except with cats. :rolleyes:

Deb

Now for some reason when I read that, I got a visual of you playing card games.......kinda like dogs playing poker except with cats. :groucho:

Deb

The problem with playing cards with cats is they like to use kibbles for chips. Even if I win ... they win ... 'cause I just give them their kibbles back. Actually, over the years I've always had a mixture of younger cats along with one or two "seniors" or "geriatrics". In the mornings, I'd put on the coffee pot and then let the younger cats go outside. Then I'd sit on the living room floor and play "senior games". You see, if you play with the interactive wand toys when a younger cat is present - they always leap over the old guys and catch the feather/or whatever is on the other end of the wand. This way I just bury it under a pile of cushions and the senior/s always get to catch the toy.

Then, we do crafts. Which means I spread tissue/wrapping paper on the living room floor and the cats create art by ripping and shredding the paper. And yes, I do put their artwork on the fridge with magnets for Ray to see when he gets home from work. We are proud of our creations in our home (however humble our efforts).

Then, it's snack (treat) time. Then naptime. By this time the other cats have come inside.

-Susanne

Just like a kitty day care! I have his mental image of you after naptime's over, sitting in the middle of the floor with little attentive wjiskered faces staring up at you as you read them Lillian Jackson Braun or Rita Mae Brown mystery books!

Besides the mini's ... classic stained glass not the cutesy stuff, knitting, crocheting, sewing, x-stitch, candlewicking, embroidery, quilling with paper, pen and inking, decorative painting, reading and of course putering.

Boy, after putting that down on "paper" I know why there is never enough time in a day to do everything I want to do.

Other hobbies....

I am a "I`ll give it a-go" hobbier. I have tried lots of things but have never really stuck to something like I have with miniatures.

What I have done:

Knitting

Sewing

Stained glass making (real and fake)

Gardening and propagation

Cooking ( i collect recipes)

Decoupage

Painting

Drawing

Furniture refinishing

Stenciling

Local historical research

Candy making

ummm. I think that is about it.

Before my hands decided to rebel, I used to cross-stitch, knit and crochet. I love to read, even our bathroom has a magazine rack, I collect porcelain "baby" dolls (although I've not added to my collection in a year). Crossword puzzles and word searches are also a favorite pastime.

I sew. I have many craft books that have sewing projects in them, some are a little to hard for me but I always try the ones that don't cost a lot to make. I took a sewing class when I was in school and ended up droping it because I made to many mistakes. Then one day I found a pattern of a rabbit and tried it. Been sewing eversince. My mother told me she was very proud of how well I had become at it (She sewed for many people). God rest her soul.

I also love :welcome: gardening. When we moved here there weren't many flowers. Well, now they are everwhere and I'm not done yet. The neighbor, Elmer, says I'm putting him to shame with how nice everthing looks. I told him to get the flowers he likes and I would give him a beautiful garden too. He got the flowers and I showed him what to do with them. Now we both have nice yards. ;) I even designed and built an arbor to enter my back yard. Hopefully someday the Calmatis will climb up it.

Minis are my winter and rainy day projects. Sometimes if I feel down in the dumps I go to my mini world and I'm happy again. Miniatures are very relaxing to me. I do get upset when I think my fingers are to big to make some of the stuff but I'm still relaxed when I'm done.

Beth