Adjusting full size knit pattern to mini

Nanwu

Hi, I’m just starting out with mini knitting...interested mostly in toys, teddies etc....my question is I have heaps of full size toy knitting patterns and am wondering if there is anyway I could resize/ adjust to make them suitable for mini knitting ???? 

10 hours ago, havanaholly said:

When I'm knitting for a particular doll I work out a gauge with the needles & thread I want to use and go from there.

Do you work from full size patterns or do you find doll size patterns to use as a starting point?

18 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Do you work from full size patterns or do you find doll size patterns to use as a starting point?

I found reducing full-size patterns to 1:12 in knitting or crochet to be impossible for me; knitting needles and crochet hooks in scale would be impossibly small to work with, even if I could see them!  I do what I do when I reduce from full-size furniture and simplify.  There are some excellent books out there with 1:12 needlework projects in them; I have one by Venus Dodge and one by Linda Spratley that I have been quite happy with.

3 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I found reducing full-size patterns to 1:12 in knitting or crochet to be impossible for me

I thought as much ... but wasn't sure. I watched with awe a knitter wearing magnifying goggles at a mini show working with what looked like needles made from the thin wire found inside plastic baggie twist ties. She was doing wonderful little sweaters with reindeer and other figures knitted in. My favorite items in the KC miniature museum are the knitted items. When I'd visit, I'd drool over them for a good long time. :D 

If I want a mini I do work from full sized patterns for the most part as I want the number of stitches the same as the larger one as it looks better eg. If I want to make a baby layette for one of my 5Inch baby doll I use a  real  baby pattern. I find one that is in what the UK folks call DK wool, the US would see that as a number 3.  Then I work the same pattern but I use a 1ply wool, a gossamer lace weight, the thinnest that is made, and I work on very small gauge needles, they are lace needle ad go as small as a 00000. I find this works out quite well. If you use regular wool and less stitches to get the piece small it doesn't look in scale to me.

If you need more help I can give you brans names.

What gauge are the toys you want to make smaller