How to fix broken wood mullions

Ldecs

Hi again! Making some progress on my Duracraft VM800 and have a question. I’m ready to paint the outside, but some of the window mullions are broken. They’re made of wood, and I’m trying sawed off toothpicks now but am having a terrible time getting them to stick together. Tried wood glue and tacky glue, they’re just so tiny! Any genius tricks out there? 

Can’t post a pic, no matter what I do it always says the photos is too big. 

Hi!  I would try using a small the strip from Hobby Lobby - or another hobby supply store that might be in your area.....also, if you haven't looked on Ebay, try Manchester Woodworks...he has a lot of the trims used for Duracraft ... which most of those trims were cut to size by the person building the house so if you have the instructions it'll tell you what size the LPL Trim size was for the mullions ...hope this helps.  

And I hope you get the picture thing resolved soon...you should try reaching out to a moderator for some help =)

3 hours ago, Sable said:

The best thing to do is to is a Dado cut on the two pieces which will join together. This makes a solid square joint.

AC24ED56-A064-499F-B39F-B0539530F16B.jpeg

@Sable, I am dealing with a similar problem and I like this solution. How do you make a dado cut on tiny pieces of wood???

1 hour ago, Lita said:

@Sable, I am dealing with a similar problem and I like this solution. How do you make a dado cut on tiny pieces of wood???

I use a mini table saw with the blade just peeking out but I’ve made tiny dado cuts using an Xacto knife to cut out the sides and a nail file or small filing tool to get the center out. You have to cut out a square piece 1/2 into the wood.

1 hour ago, Sable said:

I use a mini table saw with the blade just peeking out but I’ve made tiny dado cuts using an Xacto knife to cut out the sides and a nail file or small filing tool to get the center out. You have to cut out a square piece 1/2 into the wood.

Perfect! Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2018, 12:37:12, Mid-life madness said:

Try mixing a little super glue into the wood glue, then spray with super glue accelerator.

I'm a little late to this thread but I was wondering about the accelerator. I've never heard of it but it sounds great! If you spray it on the wood after gluing does it leave a residue that can't be stained very well? I know if you're not careful enough with super glue it can leave behind spots that I've found nearly impossible to stain. Just wondering if that's the case with the accelerator.

1 hour ago, kokomo said:

If you spray it on the wood after gluing does it leave a residue that can't be stained very well?

I mostly use the accelerator to bond stained and varnished pieces that have broken and won't adhere with plain wood glues. The accelerator seems to vaporize quickly, and I can't remember it repelling stains.....Usually it is the actual super glue or wood glue that I have been sloppy with that i have problems with.   I think this might be time for some experimentation to make sure. 

Well I'll keep my eye out next time I'm in the glue section. It's not that expensive so I should just grab some if I see it. I think it's a brilliant idea and if it works without a mess that would be great!

8 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I would think a cast might work better...

How do I do a cast ? Based on what a cast is I kinda get it but what do you use ? 

And I have no idea how the word accelerator changed to  the crazy word that was posted. 

10 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I would think a cast might work better...

1 hour ago, NellBell said:

How do I do a cast ? Based on what a cast is I kinda get it but what do you use ? 

And I have no idea how the word accelerator changed to  the crazy word that was posted. 

I think Holly was giving a tongue-in-cheek response to your statement about using the accelerator on "a broken leg I have" ... she  seized on the fact that you didn't mention that the leg was on a piece of furniture to ring your chimes in good fun. :D 

As for the crazy misspelling, no doubt our friend Auto-correct was involved.