Vintage Travel Trailer

reb563

Hi there,

Been lurking for about a year now.  Thanks for helping me build my first two dollhouses!  I've never posted before, but I have a question.  So I just started my first Greenleaf project, knew it would be a lot of sanding and wood filling.  I didn't expect most of the backs of the pieces to splinter and flake off (sometimes layers in the middle only, leaving kind of an empty shell).   The window frames did this, they are still whole but they actually bend now because of the middle wood layer splintering out.  The interior frame of the trailer was split in half before I even started to take it off the sheet (I wood glued it, but I think it looks funny).   Is this supposed to happen?  Did I get a bad kit?  If it's supposed to happen, how do I fix the backs of these pieces (do I even)?  Seems like A LOT of work!!!  I did try to pop the pieces out very carefully with a razor blade, you could tell that the wood was splintering before I even started to do that though.   Maybe it will look all right after I apply the primer and paint/wallpaper to the front of the pieces.  IDK!!  Thanks for any help, Becka

I had that splintering happen with some (not all) of the plywood sheets in the Glencroft kit Greenleaf sent my to build for the Team Glencroft blog; in my section of that blog I described how I dealt with repairs.  If I had the pieces that flaked off after I'd cut them out (I used a utility knife) I spread a little wood glue on the back of the intact piece with a toothpick and slid the delaminated piece back & forth until I got the fibers to go back in place; then I wrapped a scrap of waxed paper over it and clamped it for a day or two.  I was staining the parts that had delaminated; if I had been going to paint them I would have been more generous with the glue.

4 hours ago, reb563 said:

Ok, I'll try that first.  I think I vaccummed up most of the shards though!!

If you're dealing with a rough surface because the top layer peeled away, try spreading a thin coat of joint compound/wallboard mud or Spackle to even it out. It leaves a lovely, silky smooth surface.

Hi Becka!

I'm  currently building the travel trailer as well and have had similar issues.  Many of my parts sheets were in bad shape. It's as if the die that cut the parts on the sheet was dull. Instead of a nice crisp outline the wood looked compressed at the edges and literally torn in the middle. Some parts were usable after some repairs with Plastic Wood, others so badly damaged that I had to remake them using new wood. I do now have the shell built but it has taken a lot longer than I anticipated. If I was thinking I would have called Greenleaf first before attempting the repairs. 

It is somewhat comforting to know I am not the only one "blessed" with these issues with the kit :)  

Bill

Hi Bill,

That’s impressive to me that you made your own parts, I don’t have the patience or the skill for that.  I think you’re right regarding the die cuts, you’re description is spot on.  I’ve put my kit on hiatus, I did leave a voice message with Greenleaf, but haven’t heard back. I’m going to email them.  Good luck with the rest of your kit. By the way my wheels have splits Right through them on the back of the sheet. I haven’t even tried to cut those out yet.

I used the woodsies that look like tires to substitute for those unrealistic looking wheels:

The hinge on the awning works

A friend gave me a couple of her empty Humulin bottles to use for the propane tanks.  I found some buttons the right size for hubcaps.

• Like 1

I didn't get those axles to use, I had dowels the correct diameter and cut them to fit and bashed the trailer kit to allow for the wheels on full-width axles, since I was using the RV we had at the time for a model.

Ah OK. Your method sounds a bit easier than the route I took. I started with the "axle" that came in the kit. I sandwiched wood on both sides of it leaving the locating tabs intact, glued everything together, cut it to fit and drilled the holes in the ends for the axles. A bit time consuming to say the least. I like your idea better! :doh:

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, marievarner said:

I saw someone post different wheels toi use on the travel trailer, can someone help?

Me?

Finishing the outside

I used tire-look "woodsies" I found at either Michael's or Hobby Lobby and dowels that fit the holes in them; here's what they looked like under construction:

the new wheels

Google images of travel trailers and look at RV ads to get ideas for finishing the exterior and interior; mine looks like the RV we had at the time I was building it.

On 11/18/2018, 5:09:27, marievarner said:

Does anyone know where to find exterior trim prints or trim ideas for the Vintage Travel Trailer?

Look on Pinterest for ideas to decorate the trailer. I found so many fun ideas there for both the inside and outside design.