Hello from Rhode Island

LittleHouse

Hello! I'm new here.  Some things about  me:

I have always loved miniatures.  As a child, I had a large Ginny doll collection, a treasured dollhouse baby from Germany, and lots of little plastic dolls from the dime store.  When I learned to read, “The Raggetty Paggetty Dollhouse” and The Borrowers were favorites. This is my first dollhouse. I’ve come close to buying one many times, but nothing was ever quite right.  Then I saw The Fairfield! It was love at first sight. I like the way its rooms are at angles and not just a set of boxes lined up in a row.

I’ve already been browsing the posts of Fairfield builders on the forums. I love the suggestions and advice and seeing all the different ways of doing things.  So far I’ve made the base and the staircase and done LOTS of dry fitting.  I hope to use what I’ve read to make my first dollhouse a good one, but I hesitate to take a step that can't be undone!  Sometimes I think: Hmmmnm there may be something to be said for those houses that look like a set of boxes lined up in a row ;-) 

Linda

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LittleHouse said:

I hesitate to take a step that can't be undone! 

Hi Linda, and welcome to the forum!

Don't worry about taking steps that can't be undone. I don't think I've seen anything that anyone has done that can't be undone. That's one of the benefits of working in miniature -- and there's no building inspector of OSHA inspector to say you can't do something. If you think you have built yourself into a corner, present your case here. You will get multiple suggestions for a fix. One or more of us has no doubt been there and figured a work-around. :D 

• Like 2

Linda, I built two Fairfields, one of them inside out, to be halves of a single Bar Harbor summer "cottage" and in addition to several dry fits I had two situations where I had it glued up and I had to take my utility knife and un-build what I had built and do it again.  I was so glad that it was 1:24; I hate having to do that in 1:12!

• Like 2

Hi Linda, welcome! Where in Rhode Island are you? I used to live in Providence.

The Fairfield was my first half scale dollhouse (and the second house I built). I've learned a lot since then but it will always have a special place in my heart. I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

• Like 2

Thanks for all the reassurance, friends!  I too have found consolation in that thought about the OSHA inspector--you know, nobody is really going to have to live in this house, so no mistake will have dire consequences.  I made some progress today--I finally got the staircase to line up in the stairwell and it looks good. Next step will be to paint all the windows and doors--even though I don't need them right away, it will be easy to do and it will be nice to have that big step done.  I'm kind of stopped on putting the walls together because I need some more wallpaper.  And I need to do the floors and ceilings. 

Hello Emily!  I live on the south coast of RI in an area called Green Hill--it's right on the western end of South Kingstown, on the border with Charlestown. I go to Providence every so often, though there's a joke down here in south county that we don't like to venture north of Tower Hill Road.  It's pretty rural down here. 

Linda

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...