Giving it a shot..Artply Alison

Thimble Hall

I am still not well ,I cannot sit at my worktable for more than a few minutes, and  my back is still in real trouble  .I have not touched a mini since May but I am absolutely bored sick with knitting and am almost ready to drink the Kool Ade but...... I feel my determination creeping over me so I am going to give a house a try. I cannot manipulate the bigger ones I have half done but I do have this house complete. I bought it partially built and managed to get it done before May  so no walls to struggle with and it is not very big. I have had it some time and was unsure what to do with it, but I think it is going to be my Christmas house .I am hoping I can do most of it on my knee in my recliner. I don't feel very confident but I have my notebook in front of me for ideas,, color etc and with a bit , well maybe a lot of luck I can do it, if only half an hour a day !!

All ideas much appreciated. XX Jeannine

I have added a picture of the house, not mine as I had no juice in my camera but it is the samy one

artply alison.jpg

Even though I’m working in half scale, I use what used to be called a TV tray (they can be referred to in stores as personal tables.) it works well for working closely when I can’t move around much. For larger scale builds and something more sturdy you might think about using something like a hospital table . I’ve looked into these because they’ve got casters and a side support so the table can extend over your chair or bed. And they can be easily pushed out of the way.

I hope you’re feeling better soon. Consider doing small projects like making books and other things that don’t require bending. You can cut out book covers, prep and paint furniture kits and small parts, all from a reclining position (unfortunately I speak from experience.)

Sable , I had a CT scan a month ago, apart from the older stuff which we expected it shows  spinal stenosis in my lower back area, there are several areas of concern at varying stages so  overall  the damage had been rated as moderate to severe. mostly severe. I am on a list now for a neurosurgeon to fix it but the list is long which is why am considering private care maybe in the US.

Debora, if I work on my lap I have to work on  tray with my feet on a footstool, I can't lean forward to a table as I  have my working hands very close to my body., at arm stretch it is just too painful. I sit is a recliner which was made to fit me but I don't recline it to work.

I have made a start, the house was screwed onto a heavy base with a fence round it and fastened to a turntable. I have carefully taken those off so the house is much lighter and a little smaller.

Having looked at the house I have 3 ideas for it. either .the Christmas house, a Gingerbread house or a witches ,ghosts house.

There are many small but serious areas that want filling so I think my first job will be to go over every inch and put any damage right.

I just came in my workroom to get my box of wallpapers to see what I have that will  suit.

Actually I changed my mind, that little house deserves more thought. Karin  I keep swapping it from Christmas to Witchy and back again and as I discovered I have very little Christmas stuff  I have switched to the British mystery house a few days ago  I am really happy to say I have managed to do a little bit every day. Holly you are right  the other house is so  cute so I shall have to make up my mind about it soon I think .. The British house needs a lot of work but I know where I am going with it. I plan to make it to look like it came from around the 1940/ 1950 era  and hopefully I can have a car at the door.. I am quite excited about it, easily pleased I guess.

Talking of excited, I actually drove my car today..yay,  only a couple of miles each way but a good sign,maybe I can come back from the half dead after all. My daughter has been out of commission for a good while now which sort of makes me housebound.

Looking fw to seeing what you do for 40s- 50s decor. There seems to be quite a lot of items available for that era. I’ve thought about doing the house from A Christmas Story which would be in that time frame. Glad you’re doing a little better.

Karin