McQueenie gypsy caravan

Thimble Hall

Hi Carmen, thank you for the reply, I am aware of the  UK. dealers but  I was hoping to find a couple on this side of the pond already if I can  .If  not   I will have to bring them back from the UK when I  am able to go. I am going to have to get over there soon but keep putting it off till I feel better.

I do appreciate the help though XX Jeannine

Thank you. It isn't actually the shipping really. They usually ship heavy items via courier, then the courier company estimates the duty and taxes, then charges me quite a hefty  fee for collecting it. Consequently the shipping, duties and fees can  add another 100 UK sterling to the costs. It is an ongoing problem here. with couriers .If I buy from someone who uses the regular mail system it just sails through. no extra fees or duties.. It is the same if I have anything shipped from the US which is why I have US stuff shipped to a US receiving company. I pay $3 a parcel to the company and cross the border with it, I declare it of course but have only ever once paid anything at the border.

My 2 caravans would probably cost me tons in , fees etc, so I will have to wait.

No, no secret, I enjoyed making the first one, it gave me more satisfaction than anything else I have made for years. there were some challenges along the way though. The first one is fine but I I could make it far better the second time around. Also I could see ways to adapt  it a bit to make it more authentic. The third one may never get finished but if it does I do have a spot I could put them in so I could have a 3 generation family which I think would be nice. I did all the work for it on my lap on a tray . I think I changed the color three times so it would be good to have different colors. I have two perfect horses each different but the right scale. I just need to repaint one and add some feathering. If it is to be I will find them. probably in the Uk as I am going to have to go over to Europe soon I think.

My daughter in law who I have mentioned before has deteriorated. She had breast cancer about 10 years ago now, she was Ok for 6 years then it showed up in her spine, she has been having therapy for that for almost 4 years now / About three months ago she fell  and broke an ankle and both femurs. The hospital operated and plated the femurs and cast the ankle and she was eventually allowed home with nursing attendance, all seemed to be going well, she was in a wheel chair but got so she was  standing with help and a walker just a few steps to the toilet, then the plate in her leg broke and she was back in the hospital to have that fixed.That was about a month ago, Again she got home in a wheelchair with nurses at home. She has a fully equipped bedroom downstairs now. Again she seemed to be healing. Then just this week she started to feel numbness in her legs and very quickly she couldn't feel them She went back in the hospital. amd an MRI showed the cancer  again had progressed more in her back  and it crushed her spinal cord. She is now paralyzed from her stomach level down. They have tried 5 sessions of therapy with no result. She  decided to stop all treatments now and  was moved to a palliative care ward in a care home just today.I shall phone her in a few hours.

I am hoping I can get over there soon but it will be very difficult to do. I have no one who could go with me . My son could collect me from the airport, they are in Holland. If I go I would also have to go to the UK as my sister is over there and I would have to go and see here, she is in poor health and is 87.  Fortunately the overnight ferry  from Holland to the Uk lands in Hull which is where my sister lives so that bit would be fairly easy but  it would be quite a trip and I have no idea how long I would be away.

Holly thank you. I spoke to her in the middle of the night,and again today. Her paralysis is higher than I thought so she cannot sit up/.

I spoke to my son this morning too, he seems to be holding up pretty good but their 10 year old is not, she wants her Mum to come home and it is difficult to explain to her.

We talked about me going over there, it looks like I am going to go. I shall be travelling on pure faith though, as long as I have something to lean on I can make it on my feet better but I can only self stand about 10 minutes. So currently checking our airlines, wether to take a scooter and which way to go. If I go I also have to go to the Uk..  but my faith id strong and I firmly believe in "ask and  you will receive' so I am asking for guidance and strength right now. I do think I may be a comfort for my grand daughter.

Jeannine, please check with your doctor first. Take advantage of wheelchair attendants at airports. Make sure you go into handicap lines through immigration and customs. Take care of yourself so you can support your granddaughter. 

Nell and Sable, thank you for the help and support I would see my Dr before I go, he will support my decision I think  as my general health is good.It is just my walking. I will book assistance I have the choice of taking my own wheelchair, I rarely use it but I do have it or book their wheelchair. My biggest problem is trying to figure out which way to go, either fly into Holland or fly into England. Also I don't know how long I am going to be away so it hard to book a ticket. I think if I go to the Uk to my nieces house  I could leave most of my luggage there, her husband would pick me up from the airport and I could make her house my base, from there I could go to my sisters, again I would have a ride to get there but she doesn't have anyone there that drives  but  I am just a taxi ride to the ferry  to Holland from there and my son would pick me up, I could stay a while and go back to my nieces if my DIL is stable but am close enough to get back quick., My niece  is actually only 2 hours from the ferry anyway and the ferries  run every day. If I fly into Holland  first it is more difficult doing it all the other way. At my nieces I would be able to be driven around in the Uk if need be. I am trying to avoid flying into I country and flying out of a different one but it may come to that,

Trying to decide on a flight is murder these days, I have spent all afternoon on the net and am more baffled than before I started

I wanted to get a return ticket with and open return date but it seems the price is so high it is better to get a return date even if I don't use it , then get a single home. If I was a bit younger and fitter I would fly standby if they still do that.

Anyway it seems I almost committed, I have a travel agent friend is going to look into it for me tomorrow and advise me so that makes me feel a bit better. Hey I might even get a chance to see my UK doctor too.

I am not planning on taking much stuff for me but I am going to see how hard it is to take a Garfield over for my Granddaughter. I will have to check the weight, if it is less than a suitcase allowance I can do it. I shall be coming back loaded though.

Booked to go out on the 26th and staying 4 weeks.. My son said he would prefer me to go out sooner rather than later so I have some time with her .If   got a few tips from my Dr who said I should be Ok if I follow the rules,ie get assistance, don't skimp on my meds  and rest when I can. He is sending me to get a personally fitted back support this next week , he told me not to use it all the time as I will lose muscle strength but on the journey if should help a lot, thanks for all the tips.. XX Jeannine

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thimble Hall said:

Booked to go out on the 26th and staying 4 weeks.. My son said he would prefer me to go out sooner rather than later so I have some time with her .If   got a few tips from my Dr who said I should be Ok if I follow the rules,ie get assistance, don't skimp on my meds  and rest when I can. He is sending me to get a personally fitted back support this next week , he told me not to use it all the time as I will lose muscle strength but on the journey if should help a lot, thanks for all the tips.. XX Jeannine

I'm so happy for you to be able to go see your family . I know it may not be easy but I have to believe it will worth it seeing everyone's faces . I'll keep thinking good thoughts your way for a safe and pleasant journey.

Thank you Nell, I have to admit I am more than a bit nervous, but only because of my back, other than that I am pretty bomb proof. The really silly bit is I am booked to fly home on Christmas Eve getting a booking was not easy as it was but the agent advised me to go this way. I am travelling on a return   fare special , not the 2 separate  one ways I thought of. It is apparently cheaper to do it this way. If I decide to stay longer I can book a similar return to come back. Overall chucking away the return flights is cheaper than booking an open ended return or even 2 one ways, strange world.. I am flying comfort class, window seat on the right which means I can lean on the wall rather than on a passenger LOL( I tend to lean right when I am sat down) .They have booked me for maximum assistance so  I will be just fine..

Yes Sable I am flying non stop into Amsterdam with KLM.. My SIL will put me on at this end and my son will collect me at the other. SIL will have me in a wheel chair then I will be transferred to an airline one  on check in and helped on board. At the other end I will  be wheelchaired from the plane by a KLM person to my son who will have a wheelchair to collect me in. This way I don't need to try to  to walk much and I will have my elbow crutches on the plane for restroom trips etc. I will be just fine. There is an electric one there f I need it, a disable persons shower and a stairlift..

• Like 1

I am so glad you are able to go Jeannine. I know it is under sad circumstances, but getting out of the house will do you good. I hope it gives you that little boost you need. I am sending prayers your way for a blessed trip.

Carrie