New and need guidance

Nancy Jo

Hello,

I have inherited a dollhouse my father-in-law made and it is need of some TLC.  I have decided to make it in to a gingerbread house.  However, I am lost as where to start.  I need to repaint the outside and the inside.  Many of the windows need to be replace, and I am thinking leaving them out completely. I do not know what kind of paint to use,  Can I remove and move walls?  Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.   

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Nancy.  How easy  is it to take apart?  Is there wallpaper or carpet?  You will probably want to strip it out and then sand it and give it all a coat of primer (I use flat white interior latex house paint).  You can also use flat or eggshell/ satin finish interior latex house paint to paint the house gingerbread color.

Yes, you can move and remove walls but some walls are used to support the upper floor so you have to determine if the floor will sag without the wall. I recommend spraying the entire house outside with Kilz Primer. It will seal in any odors, stains and prevent wood bleed through your finished coat of paint.

I would also recommend priming the interior of your house as well.  If you plan on staining the floors, mask those off first then spray or brush paint with Kilz. I use real life interior latex paint for my houses.  You can purchase those sample sizes for pretty cheap usually. Oh- and select a matte or satin because gloss paint is too overbearing in a miniature setting.

For a gingerbread house I would probably go with those standard size windows with the mullions only- no "glass".  I've used them before in a house that was to be used as a "play" house rather than for a collector. They are pretty sturdy.

Have fun with your rehab!