Scratch built contemporary DH

Keifer

Well I was not going to start this because there is not much to get excited about but then I thought I wouldn’t have an accurate timeline.  So here we are, I tried to think of a catchy title but nothing came to mind.  

I did manage to get the base and foundation built.  The basics of the house are 2 floors with the back being open but having a back attached somehow...I’m thinking magnets.  As big as the house will be, its not real practical.  Suited for a younger couple (no kids) who like to entertain. 

1B6E4B6C-91FF-4D6C-B37E-4D57641CAE96.jpeg

9F8FD178-BF31-410E-80ED-981554027F7D.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Woo hoo!  It's begun.  Speculating on what "not practical" means.  :hmm: No stairs?  No railings?

Thanks for the good vibes everyone.  I hope I don’t disappoint  

Oh it will have stairs, some pretty cool ones if I can pull them off.  What I meant by “not practical” is the house has around 1200 sq ft. of living space and yet only one bedroom.  Like I said a place for young professionals. 

• Like 3

Ooh exciting! :clap:

l love young professional dollhouses. That’s what the San Fran is going to be one day. One bedroom is the rl practical version of a dollhouse. Keeps the footprint manageable. :D can’t wait to watch along. 

49 minutes ago, Keifer said:

What I meant by “not practical” is the house has around 1200 sq ft. of living space and yet only one bedroom.  Like I said a place for young professionals. 

Oooh!  Looking forward to it. One bedroom is fine.  Can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the living space.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018, 10:10:25, Debsrand56 said:

**site glitch

Well I’m glad I could pique your interest.  Without giving too much away, I can tell you that the large area where the wood is lighter...that is what is going to be what I call my “Great room”

• Like 2

I decided I am going to try a framing technique for this build.  I may get halfway through and find out it won’t work.  The idea is to frame out the walls and use matboard as a drywall so to speak.  Its already been quite taxing on the brain trying to figure some things out.  Slow and steady I figure. 

Edited by Mini Man
Broken image link removed
  • Like 2

There is a guy on instagram building a dollhouse using the framing method. Let me try and find you a link. I think he’s up to drywalling so you might get some good ideas from his pictures.  

Edit: Here you go https://www.instagram.com/hadleys_house/?hl=en

not sure if you need to be a member to view though.

Edited by Mini Man
Broken emoji removed

On 11/20/2018 at 8:41 PM, Samusa said:

There is a guy on instagram building a dollhouse using the framing method. Let me try and find you a link. I think he’s up to drywalling so you might get some good ideas from his pictures. 

Edit: Here you go https://www.instagram.com/hadleys_house/?hl=en

not sure if you need to be a member to view though.

With a link you don’t need to be a member to view, thank you

On 11/20/2018 at 9:02 PM, havanaholly said:

Dorie Krusz used that exact framing method in her book:  https://www.amazon.com/Building-Miniature-Houses-Furniture-Dorie/dp/0668049707

On 11/20/2018 at 9:14 PM, Sable said:

Thank you ladies for the great links and references.  All of them will be helpful, I can always count on you all to come through. 

Edited by Mini Man
Broken emoji removed

This is the method used in a partial kit I have.  Unfortunately, I think the frames were thrown out before the estate sale, so all I have are the cardboard drywall sheets and finishing trims.  If you'd like a copy of the instructions for study, just let me know.

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/queen-anne

• 2 weeks later...

Construction continues, I did a bit of a quick dry fit to get an idea of the kitchen space.  Winter has arrived early in the midwest I believe and mini work becomes difficult and slow in the garage.  

This build has brought new challenges as I figured it would but I wasn’t prepared for all the decisions I will have to make.  I’m much more accustomed to copying things as I did with my last build and the furniture I make.  Going in to this I had a pretty good overall feel for how I wanted the finished product to look.  I certainly did not have the whole project fleshed out.  

First challenge, the kitchen, which measures 9.5’x 15’ in real life, which I thought would be plenty big but not so much. Again overall feel I had( color sceme,layout and cabinet color) but now its like...what kinds of cabinets and shapes and sizes.  Anyways I’m sure it will come to me, I just hope I can stay ahead of the game.   Sorry for all the weird shadows in the pic. 

B9E94858-23F4-4AB3-A54C-CE10F511C040.jpeg

• Like 1

I very much like the window, and it seems to have an interesting angle on that far corner?  I'm not sure if that's actually the case, or it's a trick of the camera angle.  It could be lots of fun decorating from scratch.  Given your previous work, I'm sure it will be beautiful.

10 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

I very much like the window, and it seems to have an interesting angle on that far corner?  I'm not sure if that's actually the case, or it's a trick of the camera angle.  It could be lots of fun decorating from scratch.  Given your previous work, I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Thanks Deb. Not a 100% sure on the window, I’ll have to see how it looks with everything else.  The kitchen will have an angled roof. 

**after reading my post this morning I realized that I came off kinda whiny.  I’m not complaining, still very much excited about this build.  Its just throwing me off my game a bit.  Positive vibes!

• Like 1