Scratch built contemporary DH

Keifer

• 1 month later...

This was my first attempt at making a working light.  Overall fairly satisfied, some refinements needed and I wish the bulb was a warmer light. The plan is to have 2 of these hanging over the island.  

02DDFC06-D79C-4ABD-9BC1-58F829D9A6AC.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/20/2019 at 9:17 PM, Keifer said:

This was my first attempt at making a working light.  Overall fairly satisfied, some refinements needed and I wish the bulb was a warmer light. The plan is to have 2 of these hanging over the island.  

I believe I've seen people use yellow glass paint to warm up led lighting. 

Love the light. Pendants over an island are a must IMHO. 

17 hours ago, Sable said:

Very cool. Love shrink tubes. 

Thank you. 

17 hours ago, Samusa said:

I believe I've seen people use yellow glass paint to warm up led lighting. :) 

Love the light. Pendants over an island are a must IMHO. 

Thanks.  I’m still not sure if I want 2 pendants or one longer combined light. 

14 hours ago, NellBell said:

What a beautiful light I have used a umber color thinned out on a blue led to make it up. 

Good to know...thanks

8 hours ago, KathieB said:

That is a stunning design, Keith. Your steady hand executes your exceptional designs to perfection.

Thank you so much.  Not as steady as I would like.  I just don’t have a good relationship with glue, it does not perform how I think it should.  

3 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Beautiful light!  They will be perfect over the island.

Thank you, I hope so. 

2 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Very nice light ! @NellBell great tip.

Thanks

It’s funny how this light came about, it was very sudden.  Thursday night I woke up around 3am to use the bathroom.  When I came back to bed I didn’t fall back to sleep right away, so my brain was like “oh you’re up, lets think about things”.  I believe I was looking at inspiration pics of lights before bed that night.  So all of sudden it just popped into my head but not like an image of how I wanted it to look but rather more like a schematic.  With each part and the materials to make it. 

I thought wow this is great but I need to get back to sleep with work starting at 6.  As I layed in bed I thought to myself, I won’t remember this as clearly when I wake up.  So I grabbed my phone and made a shopping list for the craft store the next day.  

• Like 1

I wanted to add to my comment because I didn’t want everyone rolling their eyes as I would. 

I know we’ve all had those magic mini moments in the middle of the night.  I’m not claimng to be some kind of visionary, I was just suprised at how clear it was.  Communication has never been my strong suit...just ask my wife:cheezy:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keifer said:

So I took a snow day yesterday and pretty much spent the whole day making this newer version of my pendant light.  I think I like it better.  I enjoy playing hooky from work way too much. 

1D6C59F3-6100-4CF7-82C5-43FB5985CD34.jpeg

Wow!!:eek: That is an amazing light! You know you could sell these to make mini money.. :D 

On 1/24/2019, 5:57:32, Samusa said:

Wow!!:eek: That is an amazing light! You know you could sell these to make mini money.. :D 

Thanks Sam.  I don’t know if I could sell my work to a stranger.  Not all but most of my pieces are personal to me.   I appreciate you confidence in me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, havanaholly said:

It's that personal touch of yours that make your pieces so attractive.  You have a good eye and lovely taste.

And the skill to execute flawlessly. :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I got sidetracked by injury and some lighting distractions.  I am back to kitchen construction and things are going according to plan, just at a slower pace.   I’ve had to remake some cabinets due to sizing error.  I still need to construct the fridge which will go at the end of the cabinets closest to the viewer.   Having a little trouble with the island, I know how I want it to look in my head, just translating that into measurable cut pieces to resemble said image is not jumping out at me.

So many details to attend to, the kitchen is such a detail oriented room.  I can understand why they cost so much in real life. 

030FB8A6-68C8-4878-9558-9E02045BACE8.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Keifer said:

Ok so I got sidetracked by injury and some lighting distractions.  I am back to kitchen construction and things are going according to plan, just at a slower pace.   I’ve had to remake some cabinets due to sizing error.  I still need to construct the fridge which will go at the end of the cabinets closest to the viewer.   Having a little trouble with the island, I know how I want it to look in my head, just translating that into measurable cut pieces to resemble said image is not jumping out at me.

So many details to attend to, the kitchen is such a detail oriented room.  I can understand why they cost so much in real life. 

030FB8A6-68C8-4878-9558-9E02045BACE8.jpeg

I agree, too many perfect angle to cut to make the cabinet doors look right. Sand too much off and it’s ruined :( .The house I’m donating had a kitchen and I just ripped it out cause I hated my cabinet doors. Yours are what I tried to do. Yours are perfect! 

• Like 1

Keith, we remodeled a kitchen in a 1900s Sears kit house (1:1) and had an island extend out from an appliance cupboard and wall oven/ microwave, and the island had the cooktop with storage below for pots & pans and all their lids.