Scratch built contemporary DH

Keifer

15 hours ago, Sable said:

I agree, too many perfect angle to cut to make the cabinet doors look right. Sand too much off and it’s ruined :( .The house I’m donating had a kitchen and I just ripped it out cause I hated my cabinet doors. Yours are what I tried to do. Yours are perfect! 

Oh they’re not perfect but thank you.  Lets just say its a good thing the corner cabinet is in the not well lit area of the kitchen. 

15 hours ago, NellBell said:

They are pretty perfect . Are you using matte board or wood?

Thanks.  The cabinets are wood and the doors are matte board. 

I do not use a machine, I know Mike posted a matte board cutting guide a while ago but I couldn’t justify the price.  I was saving up for my tablesaw which given my incident was the better choice for me.  

You guys are going to hate me but I use a pretty basic utility knife from HD.  I like that I can get 100 blades for $10.  I use a metal cork backed ruler which is a must.  The only thing I learned in the process was to draw my lines/markings on the opposite side that I wanted to face out.  I found that no matter how hard I tried my cut lines would extend past my markings but not enough to show through on the other side. 

Edited by Mini Man
Broken image link removed
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Keifer said:

I do not use a machine, I know Mike posted a matte board cutting guide a while ago but I couldn’t justify the price.  I was saving up for my tablesaw which given my incident was the better choice for me.  

You guys are going to hate me but I use a pretty basic utility knife from HD.  I like that I can get 100 blades for $10.  I use a metal cork backed ruler which is a must.  The only thing I learned in the process was to draw my lines/markings on the opposite side that I wanted to face out.  I found that no matter how hard I tried my cut lines would extend past my markings but not enough to show through on the other side. 

FFAF95A0-F286-4E83-BC0C-256E3AC82E35.jpeg

The machine I posted was a mount board cutter for bevelled work only. For cutting panels like the ones above I used only a Swann Morton Surgical Scalpel........very small and very accurate. I started my working life in art studios as a 'Paste up artist' The only knife ever used in most of the countries professional art studios was the Swann Morton.

If you've used the utility knife to cut your panels then I'm amazed........a bit like using a 'club hammer' for panel pins so credit to you for the accuracy you got.

5 hours ago, MikeUK said:

...I started my working life in art studios as a 'Paste up artist'...

My first real paying job after university was as a paste up artist in an offset print shop and we used utility knives in the first one, in New Jersey.  Where I worked in Hawai'i we used the X-acto knives; I liked the utility knife MUCH better.

6 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

My first real paying job after university was as a paste up artist in an offset print shop and we used utility knives in the first one, in New Jersey.  Where I worked in Hawai'i we used the X-acto knives; I liked the utility knife MUCH better.

Different strokes for different folks Holly.........Comes down to what your used to!

12 minutes ago, MikeUK said:

Different strokes for different folks Holly.........Comes down to what your used to!

Quite so! What would an orchestra sound like if every musician played the same instrument? :D 

• Like 1

I'm certainly not denying the usefulness of the utility knife Holly I spent 25 years with my own audio visual installations company and during that time I cannot count the number of 'dry wall' installations where I used the knife to cut for wiring installation and 'back boxes'.........absolutely lost without one but 'horses for courses' and cutting through 1.5mm mount board in my view......my view doesn't require the heft or blade strength that a plaster board wall does.

Keith your work on the panels is excellent so it works for you!

• 3 weeks later...

Have not had much time to work on minis lately (mostly weather restrictions) but I have managed to get a few things done.   The new island is still a work in progress. 

I was pleased with the quality and presentation of the Elf oven kit so I thought I would try the Elf dummy fridge kit.  Not sure what I was expecting but it seemed kind of plain.  I decided to spritz it up a bit by adding a fridge surround with a shelf cubby.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been able to do some work on the final version if the kitchen island.  It’s not quite finished as I still need to add the cooktop to other side.  The curved piece of trim just above the wine rack will be duplicated in a transitional piece that will connect the 2 upper cabinets above the sink to hopefully tie it all together. 

425AFCEC-4DD1-4F97-8BD7-1792E87EFC2E.jpeg

• Like 3

Keifer,

How soon will this house be ready and when can I move into it? :)

All kidding aside, this is incredible. I was showing my husband the work you are doing on your project and he thinks you are doing an awesome job.

Keep up the great work!

~morningstar~

• Like 1