Scratch built contemporary DH

Keifer

17 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Love the wine rack.

Thank you Holly. 

15 hours ago, Samusa said:

love love love the island, now can you come around to my house and build me a 1:1 once please. :thankyou:

You pay for airfare and I’m there :bigwink:

13 hours ago, ~morningstar~ said:

Keifer,

How soon will this house be ready and when can I move into it? :)

All kidding aside, this is incredible. I was showing my husband the work you are doing on your project and he thinks you are doing an awesome job.

Keep up the great work!

~morningstar~

At the rate I’m going it could be a while, you might not want to pack just yet.  

Thanks for the kind words.  Does your husband work on minis as well?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Beautiful island!  You're going to need to get some nice miniature bottles of wine to put in there. :)

Thank you Deb.  I’m really pleased with how its progressing.  

13 hours ago, Keifer said:

At the rate I’m going it could be a while, you might not want to pack just yet.  

Thanks for the kind words.  Does your husband work on minis as well?

Hi Keifer,

I'll hold off on packing, LOL.

No, as my Beloved says.."that's all her project"   Though he will help me with repairing the wiring because we don't want the 30+yr old dollhouse to burn down once everything is restored. I mean, that would just be a tragedy.

You are doing a fantastic job on the one you are building. I am happy to see how well it is coming along. :) Great work!

• 1 month later...

Hello all.  Progress continues, I was able to finish all the glass work on the patio entrance of the kitchen.  I also did a little experimenting on some stone work for a small section to the left of the french doors.

After that I started working on the roof for the kitchen part of the house and I got to a point where I realized I would need to start thinking about the electrical before I went any further.  At that point things got crazy because I noticed I was in avoidance mode.  On Sunday I completely torn down my entire project.  It was difficult because it felt like a step back but sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward. 

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I LOVE the framing for the kitchen's glass and that stonework totally blows me away (I started to say it rocks, but that's a very bad pun).

There’s no such thing as a bad pun ;)

This definitely rocks!

• Like 1

:eek: Pulled it down!! Oh my things did get crazy. I absolutely love the black framework on your window wall.. Spectacular! So I hope you kept that at least, and I concur with Miranda and Holly.. that stonework rocks! :D 

12 hours ago, Sable said:

May I ask what you used for the stone?

Of course.  The stone is cork board cut into strips of varying thickness followed by acrylic washes to achieve desired color.  The cork can look a bit flat in areas so I took an xacto knife and gentle picked at it. 

10 hours ago, SewMini said:

There’s no such thing as a bad pun ;)

This definitely rocks!

I agree!

7 hours ago, Samusa said:

:eek: Pulled it down!! Oh my things did get crazy. I absolutely love the black framework on your window wall.. Spectacular! So I hope you kept that at least, and I concur with Miranda and Holly.. that stonework rocks! :D 

I kept everything, all neatly packed in boxes.  I guess I should have been more clear...my bad.  Up to this point my whole project has been in a dry fit state.  Things need to permanently placed before I can move forward.  I also used shellac for the first time on the kitchen floor so that had to come out.  

4 hours ago, Keifer said:

I kept everything, all neatly packed in boxes.  I guess I should have been more clear...my bad.  Up to this point my whole project has been in a dry fit state.  Things need to permanently placed before I can move forward.  I also used shellac for the first time on the kitchen floor so that had to come out.  

I have only ever used shellac on hymnals prayer book covers to protect them from being eaten by bugs in our lovely damp FL climate.

6 hours ago, Keifer said:

Phew! Glad to here it remains in intact pieces. Are you taking a break from the project or just moving on to a different part of it?

5 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

So glad you didn't completely demolish it, which is what I originally envisioned.  What happened with the shellac?  Why did you have to remove the floor?

The shellac is still in process.  I’ve done 2 coats but I want to do one more.  I just meant remove it from the room to work on it, I mounted the floor on mat board so its removable.  

3 hours ago, Samusa said:

Phew! Glad to here it remains in intact pieces. Are you taking a break from the project or just moving on to a different part of it?

No breaks for me, I’m a slave driver.  I had not committed to permanent placement of the foundation and walls yet since I needed to drill some holes for wiring.  Hope these pics explain (wire shown not actual wire used) :D

BBC62973-7203-442D-9DF0-B094E9C6EB8F.jpeg

F19591BE-419D-48A4-A592-50044E93E03A.jpeg

3 hours ago, Keifer said:

The shellac is still in process.  I’ve done 2 coats but I want to do one more.  I just meant remove it from the room to work on it, I mounted the floor on mat board so its removable.  

Whew!  So glad it's just being removed to be worked on.  Yes, I like three coats of shellac; it should give the floor a nice luster.

• 2 months later...

I’ve been quiet lately but the kitchen is pretty much done.  It turned out very close to how I pictured it in my head, so that makes me happy.  Still tweaking it a bit with accessories, can’t seem to find a coffee maker I like. I may take a short break before I move on, kind of refresh and get in the right frame of mind before tackling the next phase.  

• Like 4

Ooh, an even bigger picture!  Yay!  Well, you definitely have to find a good coffee maker for your Peet's.  MikeUK used to find some incredible mini appliances.  I wish I could remember where he got them.

• Like 1