Some basic questions on my first house (Alison Jr.)

Bootis

Greetings everyone, I am new to this forum, and am currently underway building my first house, an Alison Jr. I've read through this forum a lot before beginning, as well as the instructions several times . I've decided as it's my first house, I'd like to do everything by the book. So as the instructions stated, I've painted a first coat on "everything", and sanded. However now I'm having second thoughts- the instructions said to first coat everything, but didn't mention masking off any areas where walls will be glued to ceilings etc, so now there will be areas where wood will be glued to first coat painted/sanded ceilings. Is this an issue? Reading around here there seems to be a consensus that wood should always be glue to bare wood- I'm wondering why the instructions don't mention taking any steps in the first coat painting to prevent this.

Also, the instructions have a contradiction that has me a little confused. In the beginning, they say "Everything gets painted before attaching to the housebody but some things (like the window frames) will be assembled before painting", and then later at the instructions for the window assembly it states "Window Assembly: the parts used in this section should be painted ahead of time, if they have not been painted, do so now"  Ugh! I'm guessing it probably means I should paint them before assembly, but then why specifically call out in the intros that they wouldn't be painted before assembly?

Thanks for any advice!

Welcome Andy.

First of all, take a deep breath.

Am I right in thinking that Real good Toys also uses tiny pin nails to assemble their houses with glue? Maybe sand the paint off the glued joint areas?

Bare wood does stick together better. But I think you were right to assemble the windows before paint. Just paint them and move on.

I think you should probably call Real Good Toys to discuss their instructions....

Don't stress about it, all mistakes are fixable or camouflagable.

Good Luck, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the build.

Carrie

Andy, if you do assemble the windows before painting, you will want to protect the inserts for the panes; maybe pieces of brown kraft paper you can slide out from under the frames after they're painted.  Trying to figure out instructions is how I came to do a dry fit (or more than one) on every build.  The person who built the prototype and wrote the instructions knew how he did it, but writing it down isn't necessarily the same thing.

What did you paint it with? If a primer then just give the edges to be glued a little sanding. Primer soaks into the wood so it won’t be a problem. However, if you painted with a latex paint you will need to give the edges a more thorough sanding as latex just sits on the wood like a plastic balloon.

2 hours ago, Sable said:

What did you paint it with? If a primer then just give the edges to be glued a little sanding. Primer soaks into the wood so it won’t be a problem. However, if you painted with a latex paint you will need to give the edges a more thorough sanding as latex just sits on the wood like a plastic balloon.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah, it is was a first coat on everything with latex paint, as per the instructions. Very frustrating

51 minutes ago, Bootis said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah, it is was a first coat on everything with latex paint, as per the instructions. Very frustrating

Your instructions have a link to this site which explains why they don’t recommend a primer, so go with what the manufacturer suggests. But they do explain more here:

https://www.dollhouseworkshop.net/RGT/Videos/1st-coat.html