Flying...

WyckedWood

30 minutes ago, Sable said:

The 737 was lack of training on the Stall Avoidance System. The same system that caused my sister’s accident. She banked too far on takeoff and the SAS put the plane into a nose dive. Not enough altitude to manually correct. Her plane type was banned in the US and I believe in Australia due to this issue.

So sorry to hear about your sister Sable. That lack of altitude at take off and landing really is so deadly if there is a problem.:(. If only they had more time to troubleshoot. 

Karen I just did the 9 1/2 trip from Vancouver to Holland. I am not afraid of flying as such but I do get very anxious on how I am going to cope sitting in a small space for all those hours alone so I do get a bit worked up about it. This time I thought of everything I could that might trigger irritation etc., did a bit of googling and found a couple of restrictions had been lifted which passed the hours quickly.I took knitting and cross stitch ,with small scissors, as well as a book and my laptop. The last time flew, nine years ago I could not take knitting needles or  any size scissors on board so it seemed to last forever. I found some stunning documentaries to watch  which I got quite engrossed in. I also took food as I rarely can eat airline food. Also I upgraded to a wider seat with more legroom so I wasn't cramped  when I boarded I  had a double seat to myself .  All in all the flight passed much quicker than usual as I had lots to keep my mind off the seat etc. It s only a wee bit of advice but it worked very well for me this time The time simply flew buy. Good Luck, and have fun

Sable I am so very sorry to hear about your sister, I have no words but I am truly sorry for the pain it gave you and your family.

XX Jeannine

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the thoughts. It’s been interesting reading everyone’s insight. Sam, wow thanks for the info, it does make me feel better. I don’t have a rational fear, it’s irrational, I’m very fatalistic and have a wild imagination. My husband is the exact opposite, says just get on the plane and go. My brain doesn’t work that way, I overthink and over worry, and there’s definitely the loss of control issue. 

I drove my boys to Oregon this summer alone for a vacation. Along the way we stayed in a small town about half way. Two lane country highway. Another woman with a car load of children left town the next morning at the same time I did. She left town going a different direction but on a similar two lane highway. There was a head on accident and no survivors involving many children and three adults. One of the worst in Oregon history. It really stunned and effected me deeply because (among other things) I think she may have been staying in the same hotel we were. It’s like fate puts a finger on you and decides that’s your day. With all of the distracted driving due to cell phone use, texting, and people driving under the influence of one thing or another, air travel is sounding safer and safer. 

• Like 1

Just curious, when I travel a distance (by vehicle) I always wear lots of turquoise and garnet, like dripping in it lol, earrings, bracelet, necklace and multiple rings on almost every finger, and I’m not really a jewelry person. Turquoise and garnet are legendary travelers safety stones. Do any of you have a lucky piece of jewelry or totem, charm of some kind you travel with? My daughter travels often by air and before take off she always texts me a picture to let me know she’s wearing lots of turquoise, I love that. 

I don't have anything in particular for travel, but when I'm going out into crowds I have a large smokey quartz necklace which I wear.  I have a rather large crystal collection and use them in all different ways. :D  Hadn't heard about the turquoise and travel though!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

... Turquoise and garnet are legendary travelers safety stones. 

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Turquoise is my birthstone.

Garnet is my birthstone. Wonder how much that has to do with my love of travel. :hmm: 

• Like 1

I carry a big chunk of amber that was given to my Mother on her wedding day. Today and for the rest of this month I am wearing turquoise, a ring and earrings, because it is December, then I will switch to garnet for January. I think I am missing an amethyst ring and also a ruby one  but apart from that I have  a set for each month..kind of crazy really but it marks the passing of the year in a good way. I am hoping to find a nice amethyst ring and a ruby one  while  I am over in the Uk for a few days.

• Like 1