Moldy wood

Caraloo

I recently acquired 2 old kits (Houseboat and Adams).  While checking to see if they were intact, I noticed some mold on the edges of a few pieces.  Should I use diluted bleach?  In the past for mildew smelling pieces, I’ve wiped with Murphy’s and then dilute tea tree oil, rinsed, wrapped in plastic, and placed in the freezer.  Worked well.  But these are whole sheets of wood and I can see the mold.  Advice?

47 minutes ago, Caraloo said:

I recently acquired 2 old kits (Houseboat and Adams).  While checking to see if they were intact, I noticed some mold on the edges of a few pieces.  Should I use diluted bleach?  In the past for mildew smelling pieces, I’ve wiped with Murphy’s and then dilute tea tree oil, rinsed, wrapped in plastic, and placed in the freezer.  Worked well.  But these are whole sheets of wood and I can see the mold.  Advice?

Vinegar and peroxide work well to kill mold on porous surfaces, like unpainted wood, as they will soak in. Bleach works on non-porous surfaces but does not soak into porous material, so it does not kill the roots of the mold spores.

• Like 1