Ultrasonic cutters

Shareb

Just wondering if anyone has or has used an Ultrasonic cutter?  I was oogling the Wondercutter which they have at Micromark but it's pretty jolly expensive when you convert the currency to NZ.  I've found another about NZ$100 cheaper which is a Honda USW 334 from Japan.  It has pretty good reviews.  I've found while creating all the panelling for my Apothecary and all the cabinetry that my hands/fingers/shoulders get very, very sore after doing a reasonable amount of cutting - despite having an excellent Fiskars erganomic knife.  I'm picking that as arthritis advances on my hands (it runs in the family pretty badly) it'll just get worse not better.  Would love to hear if anyone has found these good or whether they're just not worth the cost.

Wow, that Wondercutter, or a tool that performs similarly,  looks interesting.  I think it would come in handy in all aspects of miniature building.  Kind of pricey, is right, but if your in the market for a tool like this, I think it looks very promising.  Thanks for giving a heads up on a new tool that we miniaturist can use.  

• Like 1

Okay, so after a lot of hunting online we ended up buying a Honda USW-334.  We got it off Ebay, direct from Japan with free shipping to NZ.  Cheaper than the Wondercutter and the only real difference we could see between them is that the Wondercutter has a rechargeable battery.  I don't believe that's worth the extra NZ$100, especially as we also have to buy a little transformer to go with it.  This is my Christmas present so hopefully it'll turn up before Christmas!!

2 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

Congrats on your new tool purchase.  You must let us know how you like it.  I think it will be a great new power tool.  I look forward to see what you create with it.

Thanks!  And yes I will - this could be a brilliant tool for people who have sore fingers, hands etc!

• Like 1

On 30/11/2018, 20:25:17, Shareb said:

Just wondering if anyone has or has used an Ultrasonic cutter?  I was oogling the Wondercutter which they have at Micromark but it's pretty jolly expensive when you convert the currency to NZ.  I've found another about NZ$100 cheaper which is a Honda USW 334 from Japan.  It has pretty good reviews.  I've found while creating all the panelling for my Apothecary and all the cabinetry that my hands/fingers/shoulders get very, very sore after doing a reasonable amount of cutting - despite having an excellent Fiskars erganomic knife.  I'm picking that as arthritis advances on my hands (it runs in the family pretty badly) it'll just get worse not better.  Would love to hear if anyone has found these good or whether they're just not worth the cost.

Hi Rebecca, I've only just found this so hope your order is not confirmed. If you are hoping to cut against a steel rule to get accuracy you may have problems......blade breaks!

It may also have major problems cutting through mount board and into a cutting mat beneath......blade breaks and thermal cut out!

These machines can manage around 10 minutes before the thermal trip comes into play. I've used the same machine to cut sprues on model kits......When you try a plastic model boat kit with thousands of sprues you would see the value but if you need 'Repeatable Accuracy'.........as you do for cutting panelling  this is not the tool of choice. I have a good friend who runs a Denture repair business and he uses the same type of machine to cut the resins and plastics that he uses and for that it's perfect.

You may have seen a couple of 'youtube' videos where card is cut but to my knowledge it's not stiff board and it's entirely freehand.

I may be totally wrong and I hope I am but I'd do a little more research if I were you...........For the same money you could buy enough craft knifes to last you 3 or 4 generations!

7 hours ago, Soapz said:

I'm thrilled to see you up and about, Mike!

Me too!!  Not so happy though with your concerns.......It's ordered and paid for.  Ah well.....I'll share what you've said with engineer hubby and see if he can figure a way around the issues.  Otherwise it'll be yet another tool I own that is hardly used.....<sigh>....