34 year old Pierce restoration

waynec

This is the Pierce Dollhouse I built 34 years ago for my mother-in-law. Many years of abuse by the grandchildren and great grandchildren. The biggest issue other than the missing pieces is that my 89 year old father-in-law tried to repair it over the years. The first picture is The tower top and I only had 3 original pieces. I had to make the rest.

Now looking to make or buy the missing gingerbread parts for the roof and the porch railings. 

Going to attempt to remove the shingles this week and smooth out the walls and porch. I think he used a gallon of glue on the shingles and painted over dirt, glue drops and paint.

Was trying to finish before Christmas but I don't think I can pull that off. 

20181204_205752.jpg

When your hands get tired of all that scraping, please post us an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum.  Meanwhile, welcome; we are as close to a support group for this addiction hobby as you'll find anywhere on the web.  If you originally used hot glue to build it, your heat gun is your friend.

ugh. Yeah, gotta give ol' dad kudos for doing his best to keep the house in repair....but that much repair work does not get done quickly.  I do rehabs for clients and have run into this WAY too many times. Lots of scraping, spackle, sanding and repairs! 

BTW-You did a great job on cutting new pieces for the tower roof! Heck- it probably fits together better now than it did with the original pieces! 

Good luck-have fun- and welcome to the little family! :gathering:

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

When your hands get tired of all that scraping, please post us an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum.  Meanwhile, welcome; we are as close to a support group for this addiction hobby as you'll find anywhere on the web.  If you originally used hot glue to build it, your heat gun is your friend.

I'm new to blogs so learning the layout and where to post things. NellBell has given me some guidance so we will see how it goes.

If you are going to replace the roof, please remember this tip: Notice how the second row of shingles doesn’t lay properly on the first row? That’s because the first row didn’t account for the slope of the roof. So when you replace the first row do this—take a board of strip wood about a quarter of the width of the shingle and lay that down first. Then attach the first row on top of the board. Then the second row should lay flat against the first row. Also, If you are going to replace the shingles with the same fish scale type shingles, turn the first row upside down even with the roof’s edge (see photo). When they hang over the edge they can be easily broken.

B5944C11-6A8D-470B-885F-1A983D083B29.jpeg

• Like 2