Greetings

Cheryl1229

Welcome to the little family, Cheryl.  Which kit calls your name?  My first kit build was the Dura-Craft San Franciscan, the SF555 model, and my eldest granddaughter claimed it when it was done.  I took what I had learned from that build and used it to build the Dura-Craft Cambridge, which my neighbor's granddaughter fell in love with, so I gifted her with it.  In between I have continued to use what I learned from each kit build on the next one, and I have built quite a few; some of them I still have & play with.

A Primrose is a good kit to start with. It’s inexpensive and covers all of the basics without being overwhelming. I generally leave the second floor off so it becomes one room with a tall ceiling. You can find them under the Corona brand on the Greenleaf site. Our club made an entire village using them.

E1F3DF97-F203-4C96-B420-35BFD06362AF.jpeg

Welcome Cheryl...I like @Sable idea of starting out small. I just wanted to suggest Greenleaf's Orchid dollhouse. They sell it at Hobby Lobby. and with the 40% off coupon, it is a great deal. Plus, it is a little more challenging with out being overwhelming.  Then again @havanahollyhas made a great point about finding a house that calls to you....Unfortunately, they all start calling to you and then you are emmeshed in this wonderful hobby!

Hi Cheryl - welcome - I think @Sable has the right idea....or @Mid-life madness has a good suggestion too.  I personally started with a Duracraft VM800 29 years ago that was overwhelming and never completed...then I re joined this hobby and started with another Duracraft, the San Franciscan 555...I believe those kits are maybe a little much in the beginning as walls have to be completely assembled and other kits you have success much faster.  So I'd go with either of their suggestions and grow from there!  If it's to easy you'll finish quickly and move up to more challenging kits or if it's the right speed it'll be just perfect.  Either way you'll enjoy it!

Keep in mind that although there have been a few comments about Dura-Craft houses, they are no longer manufactured. Kits are out there but could be missing instructions or important components. I wouldn’t recommend one as a first time house for those reasons.

Either the Primrose or the Orchid would be good choices for a first house. Use the Shop link above to check them out on the Greenleaf site. Look at the other houses, too. When a particular kit talks to you, lets you picture the finished house in your mind, you'll know which house to build. 

Hi Cheryl! :wave: And welcome to our little hobby!

I would have to agree about the suggestions of the Orchid or the Primrose - - small to start with and not terribly complicated or overwhelming.

Other choices could be one of those Real Good Toys Quick Builds...they are pretty straight forward as well, and most craft stores have them in stock this time of year- and use those 40% coupons!

On 12/9/2018, 9:01:58, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Cheryl.  Which kit calls your name?  My first kit build was the Dura-Craft San Franciscan, the SF555 model, and my eldest granddaughter claimed it when it was done.  I took what I had learned from that build and used it to build the Dura-Craft Cambridge, which my neighbor's granddaughter fell in love with, so I gifted her with it.  In between I have continued to use what I learned from each kit build on the next one, and I have built quite a few; some of them I still have & play with.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!!  I think I have dwindled it down to 3 or 4 , I will have to research more.  I see that overwhelming myself will get frustrating and I want to start on the right foot. Can I order the tools I need at the same place I can get the house?  Would a kit be better or individual? What glue is the best?  I am thinking of purchasing everything after the holidays.

I started out small & simple and accumulated tools, etc, over the years.  Starting out I suggest a Stanley utility knife/ box-cutter with a retractable blade and lots of packets of blades, sandpaper in three or four grits as well as emery boards for sanding, a cork-backed steel ruler that can double as a plumb gauge, several rolls of blue painter's tape (or beige masking tape, as you prefer, for the dry fit as well as for masking off areas you will want to glue up later), wood glue for attaching wood to wood and a clear-drying tacky glue to attach clear acetate door and window inserts, and some rolls of waxed paper to keep glued items from sticking to everything except what you want them to stick to.  Minwax stains are my personal preference for whatever I want to stain.  I use flat white interior latex house paint to prime with and I use spackling compound or drywall mud to smooth surfaces and fill small gaps.  There are a lot of other tools if you plan to make your own furnishings and fittings.

Everything Holly mentioned except I use a good Primer to prime the wood since it sands better than plastic latex paint. An Xacto knife and a cutting surface will be good for cutting wallpaper. Wallpaper paste from HD or Lowe’s.