Help with dimensions for dollhouse stand/table

Mtb

Hello - have a custom made dollhouse that is 36 x 18.  I would like to have a table made to place the dollhouse on.  I’m struggling on the dimensions for the table as well as the height.  From looking at activity tables, perhaps 15 inches high will work?  My daughter is a toddler so I want her to be able to reach but also want the table and dollhouse to stay long after she graduates the toddler years.  

Right now I have the table with an extra four inches on each side of the dollhouse ( so 22 x 40) and 15 inches high.  Any thoughts?  Please help!  

Does the dollhouse sit on a base?  The extra 4" would come in handy in a few years if she should want to landscape around her house.  For my eldest granddaughter's first dollhouse her mom set it on the floor and she and three of her little cousins crowded around it to play with it.

As you're collecting other replies I hope you will post us an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum.  Is this your first dollhouse?  Did you build it, or have it built, or find it already built?  How is it furnished?  When you have made five posts you can open an album in the Gallery and share pictures of the house and your little angel playing with it.

49 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Does the dollhouse sit on a base?  The extra 4" would come in handy in a few years if she should want to landscape around her house.  For my eldest granddaughter's first dollhouse her mom set it on the floor and she and three of her little cousins crowded around it to play with it.

As you're collecting other replies I hope you will post us an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum.  Is this your first dollhouse?  Did you build it, or have it built, or find it already built?  How is it furnished?  When you have made five posts you can open an album in the Gallery and share pictures of the house and your little angel playing with it.

It doesn’t come on a base.  Well it does, but the base is the exact same size as the dollhouse itself.  

The dollhouse was built by my father in the late 80s when I was a young girl.  Now passing on to my own father.  The furniture I have is from the 80s as well.  I’ll certainly post once I have it all set up.  

The table is custom so will take around a month to be finished and delivered.   

My husband picked up a table top and legs for one of my houses at a big box hardware store.  I have also found coffee tables at thrift stores that are a good height for a toddler to reach all the parts of a dollhouse.

34 minutes ago, Mtb said:

It doesn’t come on a base.  Well it does, but the base is the exact same size as the dollhouse itself.

In that case, you may want to have the table top be a bit larger than the footprint of the house. It would be helpful when playing to have a place to put furniture and accessories close by but not in the house. Your daughter may also wish to add some landscaping details, so some skirting would be necessary.

6 hours ago, KathieB said:

In that case, you may want to have the table top be a bit larger than the footprint of the house. It would be helpful when playing to have a place to put furniture and accessories close by but not in the house. Your daughter may also wish to add some landscaping details, so some skirting would be necessary.

Thank you.  How much space exactly would you provide?   The challenge I’m running into is that my daughter’s room isn’t that large.  We are in DC (not the suburbs) and will probably never have that much space.  Do you think it will be insufficient to only have 4 inches on each side?

I also wonder about the height.  

3 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

If you mount the dollhouse so the open back is closer to one side of the table, would that not give a couple of more inches in front for some flowers and maybe a birdbath or swing?

You know there isn’t an open back.  It opens in the front!  There are two doors that open up.  

11 hours ago, Sable said:

Holly, I would think she would do the opposite. Front opening generally places the rear of a house against a wall. 

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Yes, but if a little child is going to play with it, there's no room for a front yard when the front is open.

I'd suggest mounting it with the back flush to the edge of the table and leaving 3 to 4" of tabletop on each side and 4 to 5" in front (a place for setting items while playing). The child may want landscaping when she is older. It can be made removable by mounting it on a base so it can be moved out of the way when the house walls are opened.

• Like 1