Keeping all your finishes and effects straight!

third_hand

Howdy all, 

Eli here again. I was wondering: have any of you mini-makers found a good way to keep track of all your paints, stains, glues, varnishes, waxes, enamels, etc. and, most importantly, their effects?

Today I was deliberating on a faux 'gilded' finish for my 'decoupage' Queen Anne tea table (house of miniatures kit; it's a work in progress). I tested my gold effect wax and some oil-based enamel on a scrap of painted wood (I wanted a well-worn look). It occurred to me that I could keep a record of my different materials on different surfaces! You could use photos, I suppose, but I prefer the idea of having materials in real life. That way, there's no funny business with lighting or lenses; plus, if we date them, we could see how effects or finishes age!

Have you all made a finishes/effects journal of sorts before? Or have you found some other solution? Or, lastly, do you all have this information stored in your noggins (if so, I commend you because I can't remember it all!)? 

2rzwisj.jpg

As usual, I'd love to hear from you!

• Like 1

Bless you, Eli, I have yet to try an effect that looks the same way twice.  I have to noodle around each time to get a desired effect, whether it's the finish on blue spatterware cookware or retro linoleum, because for some reason what worked for me before might not want to work the next time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

it has not occurred to me to try to keep a record of what works.

After thinking about this, I'm reminded that I do blog as I go, so many processes are recorded. I've just never thought about referring back to them.

I had a large jar of test wood and the stains I’ve used on them. I penciled the stain color/brand on the front of each piece. However, I threw the jar out when I was decluttering the garage last summer. I had to make room for my cars during hurricane season.

I have wanted to keep a "paint sample" binder - with dots of my various acrylics on thick paper - organized by shades. 

Definitely want to have a piece of basswood with my stain pen shades on it - maybe a paint stirrer with stripes and fine-sharpied notes about what they are.'

I'm full of ideas but zero action, so sad.

I like that image you are decoupage onto the table - I like it a lot!

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

After thinking about this, I'm reminded that I do blog as I go, so many processes are recorded. I've just never thought about referring back to them.

My blog is super helpful for reminding me how I did something! I'm always referring back to it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KathieB said:

Eli, I always seem to be looking for new effects, so it has not occurred to me to try to keep a record of what works. Kudos on your table. It will be a standout!

Gee thanks, Kathie! I had to wait on the trim because I broke the wee bits that came with the kit (they were pretty brittle) and left my mitre box back in Eugene! I've since decided 2 boxes are worth having ;) 

6 hours ago, Qubanqtee said:

what a great idea! maybe a baseball card sleeve notebook with a picture of the paint and a sample of the wood next to it?  That could be amazing.

I thought about this too! That would really keep things in order. Toy stores still stock them, don't they?

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018, 7:05:02, havanaholly said:

If you can find a toy store.  Also check Hobby Lobby.

Good point, Holly! We have one (which doubles as a hobby shop, thankfully) here in Eugene. I forget how scarce they've become!

On 12/17/2018, 7:05:02, havanaholly said:

If you can find a toy store.  Also check Hobby Lobby.

On 12/17/2018, 5:41:16, KathieB said:

Eli, I always seem to be looking for new effects, so it has not occurred to me to try to keep a record of what works. Kudos on your table. It will be a standout!

I follow Polymer Clay Tutor on you tube and one of her videos suggests this method of cataloging your sample clay blends or finishes. This ink blog provides free label templates and you use coin collection display pages to store the samples. Here's the blog for the ink samples, who is the inventor of the whole concept. I don't have a current link to the clay video but the clay tutor glues her clay samples to the label templates and stores them, as described in this video.

https://www.jennifermcguireink.com/2014/04/complete-ink-swatch-book-downloads.html

And...I found the clay video also:

On 12/17/2018, 11:48:41, fov said:

My blog is super helpful for reminding me how I did something! I'm always referring back to it.

Yep, I have had challenges remembering what I did with finishes before too...especially since the last few houses have taken me years to finish. I've been more mindful of this of late and taking pictures and then adding things to my blog.