Greetings from Alabama... also ID help

adsmguy

Hello!  I am, or WILL be, a first time builder if I can find what I'm looking for or a suitable substitute. I have woodworking experience, but no miniature building experience, so this will be an adventure!

My wife had a house in the 1970s that she adored as a child. Over the years it was neglected and improperly stored, and when she recently regained possession it had to be trashed. I would like to figure out exactly what it was and, if possible, build another for her. She doesn't know I'm doing this, so getting information about it may be difficult! She thinks it was a Greenleaf, and I have one picture of a picture of it during construction in the 1970s.

If anyone can tell me anything about it, the information will be most greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

I can't seem to upload the photo, so hopefully you can find it shared at this public Google link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YBWJxRq5UC3YmLtwwFcBDOu_oXvh8Czs/view?usp=sharing

Welcome John, that's an amazing house - I've seen it somewhere before but I'm sure that when @rodentraiser (Kelly) see's this she can lend a more informed opinion of it's ID.  And that's quite a wonderful thing you're doing for your wife.  By the way, once you've made 5 posts you'll be able to upload a picture - just wanted to let you know.

When you've made five posts you can make albums of your pictures in the Gallery here.  While there's a bandwidth limit to the photos you can load directly into your posts from outside, you can post copies of the photos in your albums whenever you wish.

That, my dear John, is NOT a Greenleaf in the slightest!  It is the #1600 Victorian made by The Dollhouse Inc, a division of Jarrell Enterprises in Stone Mountain, Georgia.  These houses were completed assembled and shipped with various Houseworks windows and doors to finish it.  They were made of heavy plywood and mine weighs probably 100 lbs or more!  There are a couple of us on here that have one- I have seen at least 5 of these in the last several months, so they DO pop up on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace on occasion.  It certainly is too bad that your wife's had to be trashed.  :(  

You can check out my album "Jarrell Manor" to see mine. I plan on starting on it sometime in the new year.

• Like 3

Wow, that was a quick ID all right! Its coming from Stone Mountain, GA, makes sense, too... she had said something about going to Atlanta to pick it up.

It makes me very happy to finally know exactly what I'm looking for! It makes me very sad that I can't just run out and get one to start work on. It also makes me very angry that the people trusted with this house treated it the way they did.

jbnmini - thanks for the positive ID, and after looking at your other albums I can't wait to see what you do with this one!

havanaholly - I have some relatives between Seminole and Pensacola! Small world!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, adsmguy said:

...havanaholly - I have some relatives between Seminole and Pensacola! Small world!

Beulah, FL?  You wouldn't recognize US 90 & US 90A; Navy Federal did an expansion to double their size and the population explosion is drooling into Baldwin County!  Where are you?

On 12/20/2018, 7:18:59, havanaholly said:

Beulah, FL?  You wouldn't recognize US 90 & US 90A; Navy Federal did an expansion to double their size and the population explosion is drooling into Baldwin County!  Where are you?

I'm near Birmingham, AL. The two uncles are not very far from Beulah, close to Eight Mile Creek. I haven't been down there in about 2 years now.