Hello Newbie Here...

Lorieann

Hello Everyone,

My name is Lorieann and I figured I would sign up and introduce myself. I am a mom of 5 (took in 3 I have that much love to share). My kids are almost grown last two go off to college next year. I'm a gram of 5. All these kids and on the newest is a boy... wooph...

I just purchased the Greenleaf Beacon Hill. Super new to this but always a looker. I just never looked as far as... paints glues etc.

I would love it if you guess could send me your most prized suggestions as a newbie who isnt just a looker anymore.

I'd love to also see if there are any miniture groups local to me if possible. I cant find anything... but I know they are out there and I would LOVE to meet up. 19446

I am guessing paint, glue, sandpaper selection and newbie tips is what I need most/first.

Ordered it today and it will be here in TWO DAYS!!!

I'm so excited. ♡♡♡

Lorieann

#AllThingsLorieann

Welcome to the little family, Lorieann.  Is 19446 your zip code?  You can use the search feature to see if any "getting started" lists have been posted in the last year.  My personal basics are a Stanley box cutter/ utility knife with lots of new, sharp blades (a dull knife is likelier to slice you than a sharp one used with care), a new piece of sandpaper on my sanding block plus lots of el cheapo emery boards; I use these to tweak tabs and slots to fit more perfectly, which I do during the dry fit, where I put parts of the kit together to see how they fit and if I'm understanding the instructions.  I use blue painter's tape to hold the parts together during the dry fit.  I wind up dry fitting the shell of the house to see which areas I will need to prep before assembling with glue (I use a good carpenter's wood glue for this), or even to go ahead and decorate because I"ll never get my hand in there once it's glued together.  

• Like 1

BTW Loriann---I am thinking that there might be a couple of mini clubs nearby.... there is one in Bethlehem- Lehigh Valley Miniatures Club and the Philly Miniatics- not sure where they meet.  You can always go the NAME website (miniatures.org) and click on the CONNECT tab to find clubs in your area.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018, 10:31:35, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Lorieann.  Is 19446 your zip code?  You can use the search feature to see if any "getting started" lists have been posted in the last year.  My personal basics are a Stanley box cutter/ utility knife with lots of new, sharp blades (a dull knife is likelier to slice you than a sharp one used with care), a new piece of sandpaper on my sanding block plus lots of el cheapo emery boards; I use these to tweak tabs and slots to fit more perfectly, which I do during the dry fit, where I put parts of the kit together to see how they fit and if I'm understanding the instructions.  I use blue painter's tape to hold the parts together during the dry fit.  I wind up dry fitting the shell of the house to see which areas I will need to prep before assembling with glue (I use a good carpenter's wood glue for this), or even to go ahead and decorate because I"ll never get my hand in there once it's glued together.  

Yes, 19446 is my zip code.

I will look into these getting started posts. Thank you.

1. Stanley box cutter and new blades

2. Sanding paper & sanding block

*** ? What grit sandpaper?

3. A butt-ton el cheapo emery boards.

4. Blue Painters tape

5. Carpenters wood glue

*** ? any specific brand or just something from Lowe's?

All noted! Thank you

11 hours ago, jbnmini said:

:wave: Hi Loriann! And welcome!

Lots of folks on here ready to give building suggestions/advice!  :)  Take your time and have fun!

Thank you.

Plenty to do and plenty of time. Just can't stop. I am a lifelong tinkerer. ;)

7 hours ago, jbnmini said:

BTW Loriann---I am thinking that there might be a couple of mini clubs nearby.... there is one in Bethlehem- Lehigh Valley Miniatures Club and the Philly Miniatics- not sure where they meet.  You can always go the NAME website (miniatures.org) and click on the CONNECT tab to find clubs in your area.

That's awesome info.

I am right between both Allentown (Lehigh Valley) and Philly. So close to both. But far enough away I never visit. I'm originally from the Lehigh Valley. :)

1 hour ago, Qubanqtee said:

welcome to the forum...lots of knowledgeable and helpful members.  Ive not built the Beacon Hill but it's a beautiful model and I'm sure that once you get started you'll find tons of help from other builders here.

Thank you. This is so exciting...!!!

9 minutes ago, Lorieann said:

...5. Carpenters wood glue

*** ? any specific brand or just something from Lowe's?

All noted! Thank you

I've become partial to Pro-Bond for wood, Elmer's white all-purpose glue (NOT school glue) that dries clear for the acetate inserts and E6000 for everything else (I make dolls, furniture & accessories to go into the houses).  You're welcome.

• Like 1